The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Brake Pads?

so i am in need of a front set of pads bad. What pads does everyone have luck with? I have used Hawk HPS before and i thought they were ok but i have heard not so good things on DSM's... what do you guys recommend?

ggsxkid

it all depends on the driving you are doing with the car i have hps's on my galant gsx right now, 2 piston style calipers and gvr4 oem mitsu rotors the car stops fine and surprisingly it stops even better when ther a lil bit warmer from hard stops and such but they are in now way shape or for good for track use, i actually havent heard anything good about using hawks for the track whether thay be the hp+'s or the blues. ut all that is up in the air. im putting porterfield r4s pads all around on the vr4 ive heard alot of good things from them on here.

Since you are on a galant board I would assume this would be for the galant big brake setups. Tell us more about what you are looking for in a brake pad so we can give you better and more helpful on spot information.

onesickcrx

I run EBC Red's at all four corners with OEM rotors and 2 piston front calipers. They seem to work very well I have been doing a few mile courses and there is no fade so I am very happy with them and the stop like hell too

i mean i just have the stock 91 vr4 brakes on mine... is that the one pot calipers?

CP

Stock is the 2-piston front calipers. Porterfield R4S FTW.

aight those porterfields sound great! i have been looking and i cant seem to find them anywhere... where do you get them from? thanks for all the help guys!

CP

I buy direct from Porterfield. Raceshopper.com probably has them too.

so its a toss up then... kvr's are about half the price of porterfields... do they perform similar? hows the life of them?

BoostedAWD91

i am running the EBC green pads and they are pretty good but u get some brake dust with them

Quote:
kvr's are about half the price of porterfields... do they perform similar? hows the life of them?

My car is not track raced but it is autocrossed often and generally driven hard. I'm very satisfied with their performance and life. But I am not able to compare them to the proterfields or EBCs. If the others are 2X the price it is possible you get what you pay for.
Mike R.

thanks for the info man! i think i am going to get the KVR's just cause i dont do much more than just drive the thing.

BoostedAWD91

Quote:
Not hating, but I've heard some negative comments about Greens.

yeah i can understand that, they were on the car when i bought it, they are ok pads but i wouldnt buy them or want to use them again

belize1334

Have you ever hot-lapped (fun runs) on those pads? I'm curious to know how they hold up when the start to heat up in a situation like that.

BoostedAWD91

they do work better when they are hotter but not as good as u would want them to work. Honestly they are decent pads for everyday use but i wouldnt recommend them if u are going to be using them hard, there are alot better pads out there and probabaly cheaper

CP

Quote:
Not hating, but I've heard some negative comments about Greens.

Ditto. They fade like crazy after a few repeated stops and are damn dusty. Though most people here seem to be content using $30 AutoZone pads, so YMMV depending on how you use your vehicle.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts