The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Front Balance shaft bearing installation

I just split the bearing when a tried to push it back. I used the same large socket that I used to pound the thing out. It is the inboard bearing for the front balance shaft.

Any suggestions?

Also, is the rear balance shaft bearing the same size as the one I split?

quasimondo

When it splits, the only thing you can do is pick up a replacement bearing from the dealer.

I know that.

What I am asking is how to prevent it from doing this again. In other words, how do you guys usually drive in that bearing. I have done this before, but with the engine out and on its side. With the engine in, it is very difficult to align the bearing correctly in the first place.

Why not just do a BS removal kit? /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/grin.gif Never have to worry about putting one back in again. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/dunno.gif

I am talking about turning the bearing and putting it back in to block the oil passage. This is a balance shaft removal! What the heck is a removal kit going to do for me? I'm have not mentioned anything about a balance shaft, just the bearing.

Barnes

If I remember correctly, I've always used the old balance shaft as a drive tool. The outer part is larger than the inner part, and makes a great drive tool when flipped around.

Yes, the old balancshaft does work well. You can also try renting or buying a bearing race removal kit from autozone/advance. I rented one and never returned it since it works well with many differnt bearings and seals.

rhtx4321

Rent the bearing race removal kit from autozone. I just did my little brothers car in like 5 minutes. This recommendation will save you from saying a lot of cursing.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned