The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Tires

2of9

Well...I'm deciding to put the 50 sidewall rating on my stock 15s or the 55 sidewall rating tires. For some reason, I looked around and the 50s were cheaper than the 55s. The size I'm looking for is 205/50-15. I dont want the 50s on my 15s looking like 45s too, but i want the 50s. Does anyone have pics of the whole car with some 55 or 50 sidewall rating tires on the stock rim? thanks! What have you guys put on for the stock rims? or do you guys just have some aftermarket rims on? Any tires you guys could suggest? thanks!!

I would reccomend a seven inch wide wheel for a 50 series 205. the bigger problem is your car will look like a fat chick with her skirt hiked up on 50/15's.

A 205 55 or 60 would look better. make sure to check with the manufacturer of the tire you want & see what the reccomended rim width is before you buy.

too wide a tire on too narrow a rim will cause the car to float from sidewall to sidewall during transitions & reduce handling.

Edit: BTW this type of topic should be in the newbies section.

Last edited by a moderator:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I have 205/50/15 on the stock wheels on 115 (previous owner). they are too small both in overall diameter and performance on this heavy car for me to ever do it again. 205/55/15 may be ok and closer to stock diameter, but I have not tried it. I will go back to stock size or one larger at 205/60/15 likely.

gvr4ever

I've been running 205-55-15s for years. IMO, it's the best size for the stock rim. Also, you can still get some good performers in that size.

I'd go for at least a 55 sidewall on the stock 15 in. rims, and 205 is about the most width you should put on a 6" wide wheel.

For comparison my car is riding on 205/50/R16 on 7" wide wheels. Next time I'll go 215/50/16.

TWEAKD4

Qship. Just go with 225/50/16. It is more common of a size and wider contact patch. I have been running it for years. Just a tad larger than stock tire diameter.

I suggest going 205/55/15 or 205/60/15. Look at www.tirerack.com and look at the diameter of tires you are looking at. You want to be as close to stock diameter as possible. 205/50/15 is just to small and look very funny unless you have lowering springs. Running smaller tires will mess up your gear ratios as well.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts