The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

My Engine Wiring Harness Reworked

strokin4dr

I have been working on fixing and freshening up all of the wiring on my car. I started with the the chasis harness and removed, pin by pin, every wire that went to things that I will not be using on the car. I started in the trunk and worked my way forward. I removed the big harness plug that went to the ABS computer, the ABS sensor that is mount behind the spare tire and all of the wiring that goes with it. The ABS sensors mounted on all 4 spindles went too along with their wiring and even the wires to the old auto antenna. As I unwrapped the harnesses and pulled the wires through, I cleaned the the remaining wires and rewrapped everything. When all the unnecessary wires were exposed all the way up to the fuse box, I depinned each one to make it a very clean removal.
I dont have any pics of how the chassis harness looks now, because for the most part it remained in the car throughout the process. But I do have pics of the 6.5 lbs of wire that has been removed so far!
Next was the engine harness. It really needed some attention, especially in the problem area around the thremostat housing. So instead of just patching it up with some butt conectors and electrical tape, I opted to completely go through the entire harness and redo it. I was a huge pain in the ass, but I think in the end, it will be worth it. Instead of using the convoluted tubing type loom to cover my now non-crispy harness, I decided to use flame retardant expandable braided sleeving. I also ran each sensor's wires seperately from about the middle of the harness near where the firewall's stock grounding location was. This made it not as bulky and easier to route each wire in a way that will be more pleasing to the eye once it is back it the bay; I always hated the way the factory harness looked like it was just thrown across the bay and twisted in knots on top of the transmission near the battery. Anyway, here are the first pics. It is not entirely finshed, but it is close; I still have to repair 2 wires that I am waiting on parts for, and then melt the 2-layer heatshrink around the end of the wires near the grounds wires for the firewall. I will have a lot more to add to this in the next few weeks and will add pics and explain what I did. Let me know what you think so far.
-Ryan

This is what I started with:

These are some of the first wires removed:

This is what I have done so far:

looks sweet. A little bit too much work for weight reduction. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/applause.gif

Nice work! That sheathing looks like stuff you can get at just about any computer parts stores for those with clear side panels that want to clean up their wiring.

Edit: Whatever sheathing you go with, check to make sure it can withstand underhood temps.

Last edited by a moderator:

strokin4dr

Quote:
looks sweet. A little bit too much work for weight reduction. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/applause.gif

Weight reduction is just a side effect of what I am doing. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/grin.gif I am fixing what was broken and making things simpler while I'm at it.

Digit, I got everything from HERE .

slugsgomoo

I really like what you've done here. I've been thinking about re-doing my harness since so much stuff has been cut & spliced, but i'm still hesitant about taking the plunge. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/uhh.gif

strokin4dr

I have had my car down for this since mid-July /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/uhh.gif. It is A LOT more work than I thought it would be and I have ran into more than one problem that slowed progress down quite a bit.

boostedinaz

I am doing the same thing with my Talon while it is down. I really like that sleeving.

Did you get any new plugs at all? I have been wondering where people get new plugs from and it seems to be a secret.

strokin4dr

I plan on posting a full write up on everything I have done to the car...one day. While I haven't forgot about posting updates, the whole project is just on the back burner right now. But to hold you off until I have some more time, here are a few dirty progress teaser pics of the harness installed, the 3g ac controls installed, and some other changes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

And yes, the car does currently run and drive.

Dialcaliper

Did you use all new connectors or just new wires? If you used new connectors or pin terminals, where did you get them from?

strokin4dr

None of the connectors were new, the way to get them is to have a connection and to buy in bulk (just ask Iceman /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif). I just used the best ones that I could find from all of the boneyard cars that I plundered over the years.

boostedinaz

What is consider bulk, 50, 1000, 100000?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I don't remember the exact numbers, but it varied by connector type. And I only found one company that I dealt with that so it was just the connectors for making the maf adapter harnesses that I bought.

Problem is, the minimum applied to each connector. So, if you want a 2 pin connector, it's 2000 of those. You want a 4 pin, it's 2000 of those, and so on. You want terminals, it's 10,000 of those. Male and female each. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

boostedinaz

Balls.

boostedinaz

What size sleeving did you use?

I am thinking I will need at least two sizes, one for the extensions like you pictured, and one size for the bulk of the harness. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Nijasan

That is going to look fantastic. Please tell me you kept track of what part numbers you ordered, and what parts did or didn't work.

Dialcaliper

What kind of price per connector (total) are we talking about? If it's not too expensive, would it be something that could be made into a group buy, or possibly convince someone like Jesse (Rev Motorsports) or JNZ to buy if we could provide enough confirmed orders? It would be really awesome if a complete engine harness connector/terminal kit was available to buy - just add wire and sleeving.

How many different terminal types are used in the engine harness? Perhaps just replacing those and using the original connectors might work too.

Quote:
I don't remember the exact numbers, but it varied by connector type. And I only found one company that I dealt with that so it was just the connectors for making the maf adapter harnesses that I bought.

Problem is, the minimum applied to each connector. So, if you want a 2 pin connector, it's 2000 of those. You want a 4 pin, it's 2000 of those, and so on. You want terminals, it's 10,000 of those. Male and female each. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Quote:
would it be something that could be made into a group buy, or possibly convince someone like Jesse (Rev Motorsports) or JNZ to buy if we could provide enough confirmed orders?

Count me in..

Polish

Wow, that is GREAT work. Excellent job!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts