The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

AMG Rocker Arms & Valve Springs

JSchleim18

OK I was reading the AMG Write-up on some website and it said they used Titanium Valve Springs and Hollow Rocker Arms...My question is is it worth tryin to locate these parts and bringin them to the states or is the Evo 8/9 Rockers the same design? Also, Are the titanium valve springs good for a high revving, high HP motor or just go with some BC singles? Thanks

JSchleim18

Anyone /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/dunno.gif /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/dunno.gif /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/dunno.gif I know titanium is good in the valvetrain because of the lightweight design which equals faster revs but are they strong enough to hold the abuse??? And for the hollow rockers, should i stick with the regular rockers or even go with the evo 8 or 9's?

Titanium is both light and strong. However I would think finding the original AMG parts is going to be near impossible so it would be much easier to just get aftermarket. I don't think there is much difference between the stock rockers and the EVO rockers, if any. However, the EVO springs and retainers are a direct fit and an upgrade. Curtis made a post about this a little while ago, search for it or send him a PM, he'll tell you about using the EVO 8 valve train parts.

JSchleim18

OK thanks for the response...I'll PM him and see how good these evo parts are

curtis

Ok whats the deal on the amg rockers. This is all new and I want a set. I've polished quiet a few sets and sold them on ebay. There's actually alot of extra metal on them thats not needed and by polishing them and weighing each as I do it I can get them all matched at the same weight plus or minus .5 grams but if there's hollow or machined ones I want to at least see a picture.

Hey Curtis, what would you charge to balance and polish my rockers if I sent them to you? I'd like to do it but don't have a scale or a good way to grind them down.

JSchleim18

Curtis...I read this from an article so I have no confirmation on them nor do i have pics

This is the article: AMG Galant

I hadn't read that particular article before; pretty cool stuff. Thanks. I've had this pic floating around my hard drive for several years of a Galant dash with a 7600 rpm factory redline tach and always wondered what it went to. Now I know. I'd love to get the specs for an AMG set of cams.

bazeng

You guys do realised that the AMG in that article is the Galant AMG I own =)

I'll be rebuilding the motor shortly,
I could investigate what is actually in the head.

JSchleim18

Yeah do you happen to have a VR-4 motor as well or at least the head...i wanna know the weight difference of the rockers

curtis

Quote:
You guys do realised that the AMG in that article is the Galant AMG I own =)

You and Mark are e-famous/magazine stars. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/grin.gif

Pictures would be nice. As for the cams I'm sure there Na with more lift and wouldn't have the overlap needed for a turbo engine. But rockers could be utilized.

Here's pictures of the last set I did.

JSchleim18

How much weight is being saved in total from the originals Curtis?

curtis

I think total weight is like 3 rockers less but the biggest gain is the lenght is shorter which deals better with harmonics and also there all the same gram weight when finished which helps on the smoothness of the engine and harmonics valve fluttering. I type up everything and save it so it should be on my list of ebay stuff. I'm thinking its like 5 grams each or something.

Well I learned something new from that article. I always thought the AMG Galant was a tuned up version of the VR4 with a turbo and all wheel drive. I had no idea it was NA and fwd. Interesting.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts