The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Downpipe for Evo 3 O2

4orced4door

I could've sworn I found a 3" downpipe that was flanged to match the angle of the Evo 3 O2 housing. Now I can't find it! Does anybody know what I am thinking of, or was I just dreaming? /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/banghead.gif

JNR

My 3" ExtremeJunkSports Downpipe matches the EVO 3 O2 housing, but there is a flex section (not that braided SS looking thing, but a convulated section) on the pipe and the flange is slotted, so maybe it can work on either one?

4orced4door

Yes, the one place I forgot to look! Thanks! /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/applause.gif

belize1334

The guys at RRE know their stuff. I think that thing will flow just as well as they say it will.

On a side note, does anyone other than Certified Muffler make a full 2.5" downpipe for us? Everything I see is either full 3" or 2.5" in, 3" out.

^2.5 in 2g awd bolts up without a hitch.

Last edited by a moderator:

CP

Quote:
The guys at RRE know their stuff. I think that thing will flow just as well as they say it will.

On a side note, does anyone other than Certified Muffler make a full 2.5" downpipe for us? Everything I see is either full 3" or 2.5" in, 3" out.

I've got a stainless full 2.5" from Buschur.

belize1334

Awesome. I'm assuming that it's stock replacement (i.e. flanges), yes?

belize1334

Wow, I just went to the certified muffler page to compare price, and it's gone. It's been replaced by http://www.cmperformanceexhaust.com/ and they no longer list options for the DSM community at all. They have a catagory for the GVR4, but it's empty. Somanabatch!!!

I always thought that was way overpriced for pipe and a muffler. Go to a reputable muffler shop or especially a speed shop that can make you one. I know 4gperformance up here has awesome exhausts for good prices.

91GVR4

I am running the RRE EVO3 DP on my SBR GT10. Flows great, matches up great, no more exaust leaks. A quality unit that fits great. I got the long version of it for use with out a cat. My local muffler shop cut and matched it to my existing 3" SS exaust.

HHIVR4

Most 1g awd downpipes will work fine with the E3 O2 housing but it changes the angle of the rear flange vs stock so it doesnt work with most off the shelf cat backs.
No big deal to cut it off and realign it for any shop.

Most of the ebay o2 dump pipes are angled the same as the E3.

Last edited:

boostedinaz

Quote:
Quote:
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/eclexhaust.htm

That's 2.5" - 3" though.

From the description on the page. They even give an explantion as to why they do this.

Quote:
Our DPs have a 2 1/2" stainless steel first bend with a 2 1/2" stainless steel flex section. They then expand to 3" right after the flex section right under the oil pan area.

Last edited:

ken inn

Quote:
I am running the RRE EVO3 DP on my SBR GT10. Flows great, matches up great, no more exaust leaks. A quality unit that fits great. I got the long version of it for use with out a cat. My local muffler shop cut and matched it to my existing 3" SS exaust.

i did this too. when i first got the evo housing, the certified downpipe for the stock housing was smack up against the transfer case. so i had to put the old housing back on. then, i got another certified downpipe, supposedly made for the evo housing. it was worse. change out the housing AGAIN. by this time, i was HOT. i specifically said evo housing, different flange, different angle. he said, yup, different flange, different angle. someone on this board was the go between. i sent it back, it took almost a year to get a refund. then i asked rre about their pipe, and they guaranteed it would fit, but only bolt up to an apexi exhaust. it fit perfect. it was everything they said it was, and exactly what it was not. i had to jury rig the back end, took it to a muffler shop, and they finished it. for a street car, it aint worth the bother. go with the rre.

4orced4door

So the RRE Evo 3 downpipe only works with Apexi exhaust? Why is that? It seems like if it'll work with one catback it should work with any of them. Why would Apexi's flange be any different?

boostedinaz

Most companies make there catback fit there downpipe. IF they choose to use a different type of flange or roatte it a bit more then other then so be it. Unfortunatly there is no standard location or orientation.

ken inn

Quote:
So the RRE Evo 3 downpipe only works with Apexi exhaust? Why is that? It seems like if it'll work with one catback it should work with any of them. Why would Apexi's flange be any different?

the rre pipe is flanged/cut to fit the apexi exactly. rre tells you this up front. rre dont know what other exhaust systems it will bolt up to, but they KNOW it will bolt up to an apexi. i dont mind stuff like this, as long as i know going in what to expect. my bitch is that certified LIED to me, and i had to waste a lot of time and money. and all i got was grief when i returned the pipe.

4orced4door

Quote:
Most companies make there catback fit there downpipe. IF they choose to use a different type of flange or roatte it a bit more then other then so be it. Unfortunatly there is no standard location or orientation.

Ahh... I guess I assumed that all catbacks for our cars were made to match the stock flange's orientation. I guess not! I've only ever bought turboback setups in the past so I guess I just never ran into it.

Thanks for the info Ken!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts