The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Head swap

ls4546

So I've got to swap heads from a parts car to a "running" car. They're both 92 NT 2.0 talons. I've never pulled the head off on one of these so I've got a few questions. I can't currently look at the car cause ones at my buddies house and the others at another buddies house. Do I have to pull the cams out to get the head off or is there enough room to get them without doing so. Also are the head bolts the kind that you torque then back off and have to replace everytime you pull the head? I have a chiltions manual but it's sitting at work and that does me no good right now.

Also is there a site that will tell me how to do it step by step. I looked at Vfaq but did see anything on doing a head gasket.

Thanks, Nick

Also this will probably get moved to newbies, but I'm not a damn newbie /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I just havn't done a head on a 4g.

GVR-4

You can remove the head with the cams in place, but you may want to check the journals and you'll need to remove the cams to do so. I'm pretty sure the 1g head bolts can be reused. I reused mine. Make sure you replace the headgasket.

Aaron

This may help: Click Here.

Edit: buy some arp head studs too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

ls4546

Quote:
This may help: Click Here.

Edit: buy some arp head studs too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sweet, thats exactly what I've been looking for.

No need for ARP studs, it's NT and planning on keeping it that way. He wants a reliable DD to drive to and from K-state. I told him not to buy a DSM but he wouldn't listen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif And now he wants me to work on it.

This cars been nothing but trouble, I'll make a short list:, new stock exhaust, new wheels/tires, new correct lug nuts(story behind this), WP, BS belt, TB, crank and cam seals, parts car lol, passenger side front control arm, all new studs in both front hubs, new rotors and pads for front, new pads and turned rotors for rear. Theres others I'm forgetting. I tried to get him to get a new tensioner but he didn't wanna spend the extra $. After I put the new WP, and timing belt and balance shaft belt on I drove it and it drove fine for 15 miles then it sat till he came and picked it up a week later. He got 1/2 mile away and it jumped time and bent the valves. Now he has to get a new tensioner. It still needs motor mounts all the way around, and it needs new plugs and wires, and theres a few more things it needs but they're not critical.

When he bought the car the morons who worked on the car before me put the lug nuts for steel wheels on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif. So the driver wheel eventually worked it's way loose and fell off then the car slid into a curb and smashed the passenger control arm.

I've tried to get his dad to just sell it and by something non dsm but he just won't listen.

Last edited:

656of1000

Geez, for the time and money you/ your buddy is spending, you might as well step up to a turbo car. But that's ok- a head swap on any car is valuable experience. You'll feel good for having done one.

ls4546

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif WOHOOOO.

So I got the head off in about 2 hours. This was just working on the parts car today so I was able to cut a few corners, in this case belts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gifand save a little time. The drive belts were shot so instead of loosing them like I will on the good car I just cut them off. Anyways I get to the part where I pull the valve cover off and low and behold the head looks brand spanking new /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif. It wasn't yellowed from old oil, no sludge, nothing, brand new. I start digging threw the car and found some recipts from 03. At 110k the timing belt broke so they put a brand new OEM head, tensioner, TB, BS belt, and WP on . Once I stick this thing in the parts washer it will be brand new again . I looked at the recipt and it was something like 2.2k worth of parts and labor. BTW when the car was parked it only had 114k on it so the all that new stuff is still practially new. The car quit running becasue of fuel injector problems and the previous owner didn't want to pay to fix it.

I'm grinning from ear to ear right now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. This $150 parts car has saved us well over 1k now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Last edited:

GVR-4

That's pretty sweet. Just FYI, the N/A heads and the turbo heads are the same for 1g's. Only the cams are different. Congrats on the purchase!

Aaron

glad to hear the good news! let us know how the insallation goes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned