The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Tuning woes

Well, I've been trying to tune this 20g with water/meth and have had issues getting this damn knock out. If I try richening it up, it will knock, if I try to take away some timing, it still knocks. This is only at 19psi. Most of the time logs show no knock but every now and then I get a log like this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

My mods are:

8.8:1 Cr 2.3l, BC280 cams, Sheet metal intake manifold, TD06 20g, 950cc inj, gm maft, dsmlink, Water/Meth kicking in at 8psi and other supporting mods.

I really need a wide band. If I try to get the voltage to 0.85 or higher, the car starts to sputter like I'm feeding it too much fuel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Any ideas what to look into? I'm not hard headed and am always welcome to advice. But this thing is starting to give me Erectile Dysfunction.

It looks like your GM Maf needs calibrated, it's reading pretty high. Definitely get a wideband, you can't really do any accurate fuel tuning without one. Get a good tune without the water/meth injection, then try turning up the boost and using the water/meth.
What octane fuel are you using? It's really hard to say for sure, but you might be trying to get too much timing advance out of it, try shooting for around 15-16 degrees and see what that does for knock.

http://www.jeffgst.com/gmafcalibration1.html

Yeah the sliders on the maf compensation window are zerod out. I am trying to tune for 93 pump gas. Wideband should be on sometime this week.

I appreciate the link and will tune the gm maft first. I still have the virgin vr4 mas here (thank god). Or I can try to tune it via boost guage and boost est, since I dont have a gm sensor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts