The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

T/C driveshaft yoke- DIY job?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I need to replace the yoke on my driveshaft on 115 and after reviewing the manual, is this a do it myself job? Can I press it out just using a big C clamp?

Any other tips/advice from those that have done it appreciated.

Thanks.

Yao

depends on how rusted it is, I think some pb and hammer would do the trick.

CP

Follow the vfaq. The socket method works great for getting the caps out. You'll need the complete rebuild kit with c-clips, etc. Section 25 in the FSM covers everything you'll need to know (I was just looking at it last night).

Thread link

Be damn sure to take notes on the alignment of the DS's different sections and make marks, as well as the order of washers/grommets that hold the carrier bearings to the car. There are shims installed at the factory that are used to mount the CBs. I'm convinced that this is the source of my coastdown noises, so I'm going to begin playing with washers and whatnot to try to get it right. I didn't pay attention to this part when I did the job the first time.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quote:
depends on how rusted it is, I think some pb and hammer would do the trick.

Good point. I should start soaking it.

OldHairyBastard

I used an air chisel to push out the caps but had to bust out the torch for the last cap and use the air chisel. Good Luck

Doug

Dan D

I did mine, under the car, on jack stands with a C-Clamp. It wasn't bad.

One trick I figured out is to use a block of soft wood with the C-Clamp instead of the socket to get started. This will allow you to crank down on it without the socket slipping around, falling out, blocking the edge of the cap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif.

Once the cap presses into the wood a bit, take the clamp off and swap out the wood for the properly sized socket. The cap will be sticking out a bit now so the socket will stay in place over it and you can continue to press.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts