The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

3 bolt LSD question...

SleepinGVR4

I had gears from a 3 bolt LSD swapped into the 3 bolt case on our cars to save my aws. Do i need to use one of the axles from the LSD rear, if so which one? You have to use it for the LSD correct?

Rausch

i think you need to use the longer one, don't remember which side, but you may need both....not sure.

I found that you need BOTH 3-bolt LSD axles. You MUST have the passenger's side one that has the dual-step splines on it, but I also found that the driver's side was ~3/16" shorter, so the non-LSD axle would never slide in 100%.

Quote:
So the driver side LSD axle is ~3/16" shorter?

That's what I found. It would be nice if someone backed it up with real world measurements. I never had a driver's side 3-bolt LSD axle to measure.

I am NOT a man-diver. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

H05TYL

is it a plate or viscous lsd?

if it's from an RS it'll be plate type, and the axles are both the same length. (and supposedly the same as open diffs).

SleepinGVR4

I was just kidding Jeff. Well i wish i would of measured them for you but its to late now its together. And seems to be working fine. I had some trouble getting the steering pump flush with the top of the diff but i eventually got it. It got rid of alot of play but there is still some play and a vibration on decel. I think the drive shaft and t-case are next.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts