The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

alternator rewire

GVR-4

I am going to supplement the + and - wires running from the alternator to the battery. Do I need a fusible link/breaker/fuse between the battery and the positive post on the alternator? I've searched for about an hour online and here and can't find the right info.

TIA

PJGross

Depending on routing, I guess it wouldn't hurt? I do not have one on mine, but there isn't much that could cut into it and it isn't a long run. I would think longer runs (like to a trunk mount battery) would justify the added insurance of a breaker or ANL fuseblock. I just left the stock wire so I'm not sure if there is a fuseable link in it or not.

-PJ

GVR-4

There is a fusible link in the stock setup. It's in that little black box near the end of the positve lead that connects to the battery.

PJGross

I removed the 2 leads from the fuse box and rewired directly to the fuse box from the alternator, just replacing the stock wiring, so I guess if you do that then you have a fused setup.

I just didn't know if there was anything in the two white wire leads between the fuse box and the alternator. I guess wiring to the stock box makes it a fused setup and would negate the need for anything more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

GVR-4

There's some insight here. There's an upgraded alternator feed wire that comes with a 200 amp fuse built in. I'll probably do that.

curtis

I left my factory one and added another, I think it came from a suzuki grand vitara, and just ran it from the alternator over to the factory fuse box on the battery terminal. Been that way for over a year with no problems.

PJGross

Quote:
There's some insight here. There's an upgraded alternator feed wire that comes with a 200 amp fuse built in. I'll probably do that.

The problem w/ that link is it is a F$#d link with little bitty alternators. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Comon, my stock chevy alt is 140amp. Actually, that is a good example of the right way to wire it up. You typically want the run of wire to be fused close to the source.

-PJ

I ran a 4 gauge wire from the + post on the alternator, running in tandem with the factory 10 gauge wire. I picked up about 12 feet of it from Home Depot. It has a gasoline and oil resistant insulation. No fuse though, since I am hooked to the factory fusible link.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned