The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo 8 Brembos on the GVR4

I just got a set of Evo 8 brembos, and I was wondering if anyone else has done this swap. I am going to do a 5 lug, with the stock rotors and calipers from an evo 8.

If there are other people that are interested, when I go to get the brackes made, I can order extra sets.

So my main question is has anyone done this swap yet? If you have done the swap, did you have any braking issues associated to the 4pot and 2pot calipers.

Stuff Needed Information:
1. Evo 8/9 Brembo Calipers and Rotors
2. Caliper Brackets Front and Rear
3. Wheels that will clear the calipers(I am using 05+ STI BBS Wheels)
4. Wheel Spacers

Stuff I still dont know:
1. Will the rear rotors work with the stock drum brake assembly?
2. Will the stock brake lines bolt up?
3. Is the brake bias affected by the bigger brakes?
4. More questions to come /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Here are some pics of the Calipers.
l_820e997b9e196c677c10cb596b7f907a.jpg

l_9f53ee0226cac1d4c6b0a47c8e9d51a7.jpg

l_aec3079d3b946af6efc2bf165fc3a3a2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I have a set of the calipers, but have not progressed any further than a trial holding the parts together. Bracket offset may be trouble IIRC, but I did not have a set of rotors to tell me where they need to go exactly.

GVR-4

I think that would be a great mod for someone ambitious because of the similar weights of the cars. If I were more ambitious about the Galant I would do it. I think you will lose the emergency brake though.

You could work in the rear brake set up from a 2G DSM, as they have the same parking brake as the Evo. That is what I am trying to work out in my car. I know everything in the rear is a direct bolton though.

a_santos

I would be interested in this as well. I have heard of guys putting them on 1gs. So if it can fit on a 1g, it can fit on our car as well.

boostedinaz

Quote:
I would be interested in this as well. I have heard of guys putting them on 1gs. So if it can fit on a 1g, it can fit on our car as well.

Link????

Scientist

I've seen em done on Galant VR4s and Evo 3s in the caribbean but i will probly see if i can get someone to borrow me theirs

I am going to be building the brackets.

I am just waiting for my STI BBS wheels to show up. Then I just need the 5 lug hubs and I am good. I will do a full write up on this, because I know that people are interested.

The fun ones will be the rear brakes because I dont know if the rear drum is the same as the rear drum on the evo. I will find out soon.

Let me know if there are any special pics that you guys want as I go through the whole process. It will take me a month or so to complete because I am putting my motor back together also.

Boz

I was planing on making brackets for this swap as well, but the guys i was working with got to busy with their bushings and stuff they are making for 240's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

GVR4458

Adam from Devo tuning did this to his car. I told him I wanted hinm to work on my car and he simply laughed at me. Apaprently the brackets are welded to the rear sub-frame. He didn't mention any weird bias issues he had to work out but he said it was a pain in the ass. The car seemed to brake fine while I had it for a week or so.

EH

There are a few EVOs in our Friday night gathering and they do nothing but gripe about the weight of their brakes. They look impressive and stop very nicely, but they are heavy with a capital HEAVY.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quote:
There are a few EVOs in our Friday night gathering and they do nothing but gripe about the weight of their brakes. They look impressive and stop very nicely, but they are heavy with a capital HEAVY.

Really? Guess they have nothing else to complain about. They are aluminum and IIRC are much lighter than our front iron calipers. Maybe they mean the giant front brake rotors.

I really dont see how a few extra pounds on the calipers will make any differance. It seems that our cars have enough problems as it is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. But yes the calipers are heavy, I was like god damn. I will put them on a scale tonight and get some info.

I really dont see how a few extra pounds on the calipers will make any differance.

Guess yo don't know much about unsprung weight. Do some research and you'll see how a few extra pounds will make a difference. My break kit reduced unsprung weight over the front end alone by over 50lbs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

GVR-4

The heavier rotors have more of an impact than the calipers.

Scientist

aren't the calipers stationary so unsprung weight isn't a factor with them?
just asking

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts