The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Feedback on AFCO Scirocco Style Radiator in VR4

BoostedAWD91

anyone use the AFCO Scirocco Style radiator in their Galant? im in the market for a new Radiator and i wanted some opinions if anyone has used one and how it works.

curtis

I've had a full sicrocco style in the car for over a year and love it. Mine is the one you get from VW / vw guy shops or from summit or jegs. I've got pictures here on the board somewhere.

slugsgomoo

i'll be putting one in my car, and quite a few guys here have done it. Twin pass radiators definitely give you an efficiency boost, and when you mount it in the place of the a/c condensor give you some much needed room up front. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have the griffen. Its not a bad piece at all, I used like 3.5" bolts through the cross member to attach it. I was going to thread sert it but I couldn't get enough torque on the handle to get it to lock down. So I just drilled it with a 3/8 drill bit. I used some 1/4" rubber underneath so it has a little bit of flex (rubber squares). You will need a t/e/l thermostat housing and also another radiator cap is the, at least the griffen, did not come with one. Its for a chevy, just generic rad cap, checker/kragen has them, auto zone has them ect.. Mounting the fan can be difficult if your like me and didnt want to use the plastic rivet things. I used pieces of aluminum sheet, and made the tolerances tight enough that when the bolts were tightened it put pressure on the fan to hold it in place.

spooling92vr4

i got the afco in my car.. it seems to work fine.. just gotta figure out a way to mount it.. i made some brackets and drilled some holes.. only thing is i wish i put the temp sensor for the fans in it so i dont have to have the fans running constantly

You can buy temp probes that complete a circuit at a given temperature at auto zone if thats what you want..

IncorpoRatedX

Here check this thread out.

I love it, i ran the griffin version in my last galant, never had a single problem from it and i expect better results with the afco (i like the design more)

spooling92vr4

Quote:
You can buy temp probes that complete a circuit at a given temperature at auto zone if thats what you want..

I hate wires

BoostedAWD91

i have my fans wired up to a switch so i can turn them on and off as needed which might help you so u dont have them running all the time

Quote:
i got the afco in my car.. it seems to work fine.. just gotta figure out a way to mount it.. i made some brackets and drilled some holes.. only thing is i wish i put the temp sensor for the fans in it so i dont have to have the fans running constantly

BoostedAWD91

Here is the AFCO Radiator i purchased through Summit Racing last night, i purchased this one cause it didnt have the radiator cap on the DS like all the other ones did.

Good choice, I think that one was 60-80 dollars more then mine. That lip on the bottom will sit nicely up against the cross member.

Quote:
Here check this thread out.

I love it, i ran the griffin version in my last galant, never had a single problem from it and i expect better results with the afco (i like the design more)

Whats different about it?

BoostedAWD91

yeah it should fit nicely where the AC Condenser was. Should have it by the end of the week, i cant wait

curtis

Well couldn't find my old post when I did the how to on this....Mods what gives /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif .

Any here's the fan I'm using. You can get a fal set-up that is a direct bolt on or grab up a Passat or Audi dual set-up like this. Belt driven. Only problem is the motor is large...I've been told the corrado motor is thinner and runs the same rpm and pulls the same amps but haven't found one yet. I used nissan taillight install goo strip around the edges to seal it up and trimmed to fit and the cadmium plates end brackets are from a rabbit fan. Had to stay brand specific. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

To mount it on the bottom I used rubber isolator vibration mounts from a 87-93 mustang 5.0 airbox and fab up brackets for the two top corners using chassis welded in nuts that we're already there. the drivers side is on top of the core support and the passenger side uses a nut that is under the core support and beside the light.

The pipes are the upper and lower radiator hoses. Tig welded aluminum the bottom one uses the factory thermo switch .

slugsgomoo

curtis, interesting setup. If you find a smaller motor, definitely let us know. I don't have the space for something like that, unfortunately.

curtis

I'm running a .80 ar compressor schwitzer you have to think differnet but you have the room. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:

slugsgomoo

well, I already know that I can't fit my setup in the car with the stock radiator in there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

BoostedAWD91

im most likely going to use 2 slimline fans to save some room and because i already have them. any other suggestions on what to use as the rubber mounts for the bottom?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts