The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Magnus intake manifold vs. stock cyclone intake manifold

chrisb33

Hi guys,

Your thoughts on a Magnus intake manifold vs. a cyclone stock intake manifold? pro's and con's?

thanks.

chris b

Last edited:

cheekychimp

It depends on the rest of your setup and/or future upgrade plans. The Cyclone manifold was designed specifically for the stock motor and the stock rev limiter. By using dual runners it maximizes torque at low rpms, helps with spooling the turbo faster and allows the engine to rev pretty much to the limiter before it falls off (on the stock turbo).

If you start doing engine work, specifically head-work and add a larger turbo the cyclone can become a bottleneck BUT there are plenty of people who have put down very healthy power figures on both stock USDM and cyclone manifolds so they aren't as restrictive as you might think. The big problem (if you can call it that) is that they wont allow the engine to continue to make power after about 6500-7000 rpms which makes them unattractive for the drag strip where guys may be pushing anywhere from 8000-9500 rpms.

For a street car with anything up to an EVO III 16G, I think you'll be happy with the Cyclone. If you are going to spend a lot of time at the track or add a much larger turbo you might want to consider the Magnus. It's a trade off, low end torque and faster spool up for more top end. That's the low down pretty much. Which of the two is more important to you, only you can decide!

Edit: I'd be interested to hear from Brianawd and turbowop on this one as they are running similar setups and the same turbo but Brian has a Ported 2G Manifold whilst Mark has the Magnus. It would be interesting to hear what the difference is in torque and top end as I believe both cars are knocking on the door of low 11s.

Last edited:

this is actually a pretty common question and choices are limited, being the cyclone intakes, the evo intakes and some aftermarket items(which is more for big HP applications than anything). the trade off always exists, its either you lose low end or lose top end. somebody should come up with something for street use, something with better response than stock items and more drivable than existing aftermarket stuff. or maybe i just don't know about it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

but yeah, the answer is pretty much based on what plans you have for your car, if you're just thinking of having a sleeper that'll smoke people on the road, then the cyclone is for you. but if you intend to go for all-out drag events, then something like a magnus item is what you're looking for.

Scientist

Wouldn't an evo intake mani be a nice tradeoff for the cyclone?

The runners are better lengthed for upper RPM power without sacrificing too much down low

i guess it would all depend on what you're after, better low end response or higher top end power

Brianawd

Just go with a stock usdm intake manifold. In order to get full use of a smim head work is a must. For years I had the idea that biger is better. Not true. This last weekend I trapped 127.94 on a 3052, stock head with hks 272s and stock intake manifold.

Rausch

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i vote for extrude honed 1g

that works great if you're only trying to raise the stock intake mani's choke point a bit, but for the $$ involved, it's not such a great deal. if you were somehow trying to squeeze every last ounce out of a stock system, then i get it, otherwise you'd be better off with something that more suits your needs. cyclone, smim, and so forth.

chrisb33

Hmmmm maybe investing in a magnus at this point is not practical yet. I'd probably stick with my cyclone first and then use the money i had put aside for forged pistons and rods?

any reasonable brands out there that are worth buying? forged pistons and rods?

thanks.

chris b

yes, i definitely think that's a smarter choice. you could do the pistons and rods now while your engine is still being done so you can save yourself the trouble and $ to take the engine apart again alter. the cyclone will go a long way and its an easier item to upgrade when you feel the need to.

i can't offer any opinions on brands though, i have no experience in those yet and i also think they're largely relative to the application and end user.

Last edited by a moderator:

it all depends on how crazy you want to get with the car. i would personally use a ross/eagle combo as that usually suits most people's needs. if you want to get crazy you can get something like oliver rods which will handle whatever you throw at them. i have seen at least 5 blocks that have cracked using weisco pistons. i dont know if they were the problem but i know we've stopped selling them and have had no problems with ross. back to your intake i would say your going down the right road building your motor first. plenty of people have gone fast using a cyclone. as far as what to get in the future im gonna say the AMS VSR! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Boostin21

dyno results show usdm 1g mani's flowing the same as a magnus down low, better in the mid range and the same up top almost. a 1g mani is good for 500hp, i was going to run a cyclone but i decided against it, a 1g manifold is straight forward, and will be better for me personally while drag racing.

Brianawd

For my set up I had a FRH intake manifold that I was going to run on the car this year but after some long talks with some of my friends and some late night reading on the net. I found that for my set up(stock head) a stock intake manifold would better serve my needs. If I wanted to get the full use out of the intake manifold I was going to need to do some port work, some bigger valves and some springs and retainers so that I could rev to the moon. But my car is still driven on the street and I wanted a car with a usable powerband.

Looking at the big intake manifold test you can see that 1g manifold out pulls from 4500rpms to 6600rpms and from 6600rpms up the bj's and the magnus take over. So
you have to think about what you want. A car that makes just a little more power up to from 6600rpm to about 8000rpms(if using stock head) or a car that makes good power from 4500rpms to 6600rpms

http://206.124.12.138/intake/airflow.jpg

chrisb33

Im planning to do headworks on my cylinder head. match porting and stuff. I dont think i can do the over size valves thing though. You think the Magnus will match my system? The powerband that im looking at is around 4000 RMP and above! Want to kick a$$ on the highways /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

thanks.

chris b

You are brave my friend to use all the speed a stock 4g63t will run in our hiways. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif
Would like to suggest you run an aquamist sytem n get a better i/c.
A well running 4g63t with good timing advance will beat most cars there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sr71sss

Quote:
Im planning to do headworks on my cylinder head. match porting and stuff. I dont think i can do the over size valves thing though. You think the Magnus will match my system? The powerband that im looking at is around 4000 RMP and above! Want to kick a$$ on the highways /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

thanks.

chris b

exactly where in the world would you use all that hi rpm pull in the PI Pare? your probably going to be more happy with a stroker motor than a hi rpm pulling motor, better yet why not use a diesel motor in it with gobs of torque to boot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

conrad

Conrad where's my bumper?

vr4.jpg
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Chris pare sorry for hijackin your thread.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts