The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Oil catch can idea.

Terry Posten

I have 2 ports on my can and a top filter. I am only using 1. That is the VC vent.

Can I put a hose onto the top of the dipstick tube and route it to the can?

Is this going to cause a problem? If so, what problems can I expect to see?

The dip stick can be stored in the trunk.

Terry Posten

Wat do you mean?

The PCV is still in and the catch can has a fliter on top so it cab breathe.

Please clairify.

Thanks.

CP

Why would you want to do that? If your dipstick isn't staying in, fix the problem.

OldHairyBastard

Take both leads off of the valve cover and run them into the can PCV & the one that runs to the air filter pipe. Block off the tube that comes out of the intake and connects to the PCV. This is what I did and I have not blown my dipstick out of the tube ever since.

CP

I found that I was getting ALOT of oil mist spray out of my CC filter with the valve cover vent routed to the CC. So that hose now just dumps out below the car behind the tranny. I ditched the PCV valve and ran a hose from that hole on the VC to the catchcan and it fills up alot more slowly now. The extra port on the intake manifold is used now for manual boost control.

JNR

I agree with fixing the problem.

I used to have my stick pop up and splatter the goods, but that is when I had only a teeny filter attached to a hose off the valve cover (not my doing)...So, I put a real catch can and cleaned the filter and the problem hasn't come back.

My theory is that little filter was insufficient in letting the gases escape and that's when the stick would pop up. Now there is some space for the gases to escape.

What I'm going to do when I put it back together is, instead of the filter, I'll route it back into the intake (like the oem), put a screen inside the catch can, to collect actual oil more effectively and keep the can more as a quench tank for the oil, but the gases will be re-circulated...don't know how well this will work, but it'll please the smog nazis.

s_firestone

What your accomplishing is simply allowing the excess oil to be reclaimed. Every carbureted motor I have ever seen has the vent oriented in such a way that most of the condensed oil drains back into the crankcase(while gases are caught at a filter). You could/should put some fiberous filter material(think scouring pad, oil will still drain off of it) in the actual catch can so that by the time the vapor reaches the exit filter most vapor has condensed.

When you think about it, this problem has a lot to with how high up the vent is on our engine. If the vent came from say 6" down on the side of the head and had a vertical tube, gravity would take care of the rest. On V engines, the valve covers are usually lower in the bay. On a carbureted engine the section of the the intake air filter does double duty by catching what the vent filter media misses. Also consider how small in diameter our vent really is in comparison to most engines.

An interesting note is that lawn mower engines have the vent running inside the filter housing but somehow do not manage to totally gunk up the air path. Most of them have an "L" shaped vent tube and oil drains back down the wall of the tube.

Here's a thought...if the vent tube was drilled out of the side of the valve cover and replaced with a metal tube with an "L" shape from the inside, running down a safe portion of the head, all the vent air would be taken from a lower point in the engine rather than right over the cams and lifters(unarguably one of the most turbulent areas on the engine). Because the tube would pull air from lower down, the wall of the tubing itself would supress more of the oil vapor before it reaches the exit. Bends or turns in the piping as it ascends to the exit force more vapor to adhere to the walls of the tubing.

Another consideration is the diameter of the vent. Small diameter, more velocity to evacuate the same amount of air. Larger diameter, lower velocity(or several smaller vents dividing flow between them). More time for vapor to settle out.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts