The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

3kGT vs. Camaro Calipers

We've discussed both setups individually plenty of times in terms of fitment and cost, but I can't find a good comparo based on actually driving experience. How do they compare in terms of stopping power?? Who has been in a GVR4 with Camaro brakes and a GVR4 with 3kGT brakes??

atc250r

Staff member
I've been in plenty of 3KGT's with their stock brakes and my GVR4 with Camaro brakes. It's not fair to compare 4 piston calipers (3KGT) to 2 piston ones (Camaro) but I can say the Camaro set up is pretty damn close to the 3KGT. The pedal feel and stopping power is great.

John

V8EATER

Yes, but driving a 3000gt, and driving a galant w/ the same setup are 2 different situations. Not to knock your opinion, at all.

It would be really great to have a direct comparison. Maybe even some test numbers? What if those with each setup could do independent tests, stopping, brake fade, etc. and post them.

V8EATER

And what about these monsters? Who knows what they will do?

4 piston aluminum. Custom brackets will be neccesary, and I'm not telling you what they're from yet. It's a secret. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:

there was as set of those on ebay a few weeks ago. i thought about getting them but didn't really want to mess with making brackets

speedyvr4

yeah, I say those are from a toyo truck. I always wondered what those calipers would look like on the vr4. Just to try and clear things up, the OP is talking about 3000 gt VR4 calipers vs the camaro ones, not the base sl model calipers which are identical to ours.

Luke

FYI, if you like the camaro calipers setup, you should try swapping the camaro calipers with Corvette C5 calipers.
This will give you even better pedal feel, plus the front-to-rear brake balance will be closer to stock.

Stock pistons size is 41.3mm
Camaro caliper piston size is 45mm
Corvette caliper piston size is 38mm

Basically, if you do the calculation, the amount of front brake force is equal to the rotor "effective" diameter times the total piston area.
Therefore, it follows that when you have increased the rotor diameter ( 10.9 to 13.1 inch ), you should reduce the caliper piston size from the stock 41.3mm to get the same brake balance.

To do this, you will need the following from a C5: calipers, the anti-rattle clips that goes across the calipers, and shorter bolts for the sliding pins. You will be required to keep the LS1 "pad abutment brackets" ( which is GM term for the caliper brackets ), LS1 brake pads, and the LS1 brake pad shims.

I just did this swap on my setup, and it's significantly better than using the LS1 calipers.

I'll take a pic later..

Luke

Here you go.. some pictures:

Last edited:

V8EATER

Quote:
yeah, I say those are from a toyo truck. I always wondered what those calipers would look like on the vr4. Just to try and clear things up, the OP is talking about 3000 gt VR4 calipers vs the camaro ones, not the base sl model calipers which are identical to ours.

Not exactly, but close. The tundra ones are similar, but different.

As far as the vette calipers go- they are finned, which I would imagine might help in brake fade at the track. Not fact, just opinion.

Romanova

Quote:
And what about these monsters? Who knows what they will do?

4 piston aluminum. Custom brackets will be neccesary, and I'm not telling you what they're from yet. It's a secret. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Supra or a Lexus GS?

Luke

Yes, they're both cast aluminium construction.

Camaro caliper is gravity cast, while corvette caliper is pressure cast.
The corvette caliper is supposedly stiffer because of that..

deez

While we're on the topic, what's it take to make the 3000GT brakes work on our cars? Does someone offer brakets? And any adaptation for the rotors?

Quote:
We've discussed both setups individually plenty of times in terms of fitment and cost,

Quote:
While we're on the topic, what's it take to make the 3000GT brakes work on our cars? Does someone offer brakets? And any adaptation for the rotors?

We're NOT on that topic, that information is easy to find. Apparantly two people local to each other with either setup is not so easy to find. I sort of figured that, as stock brakes are sufficient for most members.

Last edited by a moderator:

deez

"We're NOT on that topic, that information is easy to find"

There's not reason for attitude. I was just looking for someone to recommend a direction. And we all know how crappy the search works.

ehmm,please correct me if I understand something wrog.
Front 4pot calipers from 3kgt, did they fit plug n play into galant?
what with rear?
which one are more efficient? evo1,2,3 or 3kgt?

Luke

What's the piston size of 3kgt calipers ?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts