The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Ugh. Fans never turn off.

I'm stumped. I just put a new engine in my car and now can't get the fans to turn off. Both fans kick on to high speed as soon as you turn the ignition to on.

I've the checked the connectors on the t-stat housing many times, replaced the fan switch in the radiator, checked the connections where the relay or resistor or whatever it is was spliced out, checked and swapped relays, checked and replaced fuses, and can't figure out what is going on.

The gauge in the cluster works, the logger reads between 96-98 C when fully warmed up, and the thermostat opens.

What baffles me is the fans worked fine before I pulled the engine. They even worked fine the first time I started the new engine. The first time it got up to temp both fans kicked on and now they are always on with the ignition.

What would cause both fans to kick on to full speed like this? I'm aware of the spade connector on the rear of the t-stat housing being a sort of "back-up." Is it a back-up if the fan switch isn't functioning? Could it be bad wires somewhere? I need help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Rausch

Quote:
I'm aware of the spade connector on the rear of the t-stat housing

the connector on top of the t-stat housing on the galant would do this if it was malfunctioning...think it's something like a/c over pressure or something like that....

it' my birthday, and i have had a few, so bear with me...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

atc250r

Staff member
If you ground the single wire connector on the back of the housing it will do that. Maybe that wire got shorted to ground somehow during your engine swap.

Edit: And Happy Birfday Aaron!!

John

Last edited:

Rausch

^^ thanks man! muchas Grassy ass!

toybreaker

iconoclast
Put your hand on the fan relay, and key the car up.

If it clicks, follow the ground/signal paths.

If it doesn't click, the contacts inside the relay may be stuck/welded closed.

Just to follow-up, I went back and tested wires and relays and still couldn't figure it out. I had a funny feeling it had something to do with the blue wire on the back of the t-stat housing. I unplugged it, fired up the car, grabbed my logger to watch the coolant temps, and stood over the engine to see if the fans worked. Once the engine got up to temp, the main radiatior fan turned like normal. Now I just need to trace that wire and see what it's grounding out on.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned