The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Question about the belts. *DELETED*

Balance Shaft belt.

Tbelt5.jpg

brute

Consider yourself very lucky the broken belt didn't derail your timing belt. You can eliminate the balance shafts, or just keep them in. But if you keep them, make sure to replace that belt every time you do timing.

You can run the motor without the balance shaft belt in it and leave balance shafts in. It won't cause any harm.

^ Yes it will leave one "in play", I think he means that he didn't do any damage to the engine with the BS belt being broken.

I'm just thinking of vibrations. I know I got one out of phase once & the engine ran so rough I thought I had bent a valve.

wouldn't it be simmiler having just the rear one going?

^why do people always say this? I guess every case is different, but on three of my motors a have snipped the b-belt and just ran with the oil pump/b-shaft until I had time to do a proper removal. I barely noticed a difference.

atc250r

Staff member
Quote:
I'm just thinking of vibrations. I know I got one out of phase once & the engine ran so rough I thought I had bent a valve.

wouldn't it be simmiler having just the rear one going?

Having one out of phase will make it vibrate worse than only one running. Having none at all will also vibrate a little worse than having only one running but it still isn't that bad. Either one is DEFINITELY better than wrecking your engine from a balance belt derailing the t-belt or the BS bearings puking out and ruining the bottom end.

John

gtride

I still got both BS, but when i got the car i did TB on it and didn't pull out the front BS, so right now only one is spinning and other one in place. I noticed a little difference in vibrations but not that much. I just didn't have time and money for a new oil pump to get the BS out and do it right. I'll just wait till I'll take motor apart and build it to get both of them out. I you doing TB and don't know how to remove BS or don't have time and money for Oil pump just replace TB and take BS belt out.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned