The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How to: 2G transmission in your GVR4

IncorpoRatedX

i seem to have this trend going with posting information on how to violate your GVR4 with parts from a girls car. Anyhow, i've seen a few threads in the past asking for info on swapping this trans into ones car. So i figured i'd toss up some pics of what i did today and what one needs in order to install this trans set up.

First of all the starter plate, goes between the block and transmission...
Must be from an AWD 2g the numbers stamped on it will be
G1-561
feb12_009.jpg

Here's how it will look on the engine, notice the red arrow is showing a hole that is completely useless on a 1g block. poor little guy, no purpose in life.

Also seen in this pic is the flywheel bolted down with the grade 11 flywheel bolts and utilizing red loctite on the bolts.

feb12_001.jpg

This picture shows the pressure plate bolts and again, my friend, the red loctite.
Remember that the pressure plate bolts are Grade 7, when digging through a misc bucket
of bolts its easy to find bolts that look similar but are a lower grade.

feb12_004.jpg

I always put the disc and alignment tool on first, i've seen people try to put the
assembly on together.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
feb12_002.jpg

then i tap the pressure plate evenly to get it somewhat seated.
please note: when tapping the word 'tap!' does not appear in mid air.

feb12_003.jpg

Blurry pic of the assembly torque down, generally put a breaker bar on the crank bolt on the timing belt side and rotate the crank until the breaker bar is pushing against the subframe, sorry i didnt get any pics of this but it helps when torquing down the bolts.

feb12_005.jpg

Next it's time to lube up the shaft, the ball and the the V. remember, too much grease and it can wind up on your clutch disk.. put lube on the ends of the V of the clutch fork, on the fulcrum ball and on the trans input shaft, i also carefully pack some down into the TOB just for safety's sake? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

feb12_006.jpg

You will need longer bolts for the slave cylinder as the trans housing is thicker in this area than it is on a 1g trans

feb12_007.jpg

this is just a pic of the trans before i installed it, i find it easier to remove the trans mount entirely so i can move the trans around however i want, but hey.. its up to you!

feb12_008.jpg

The trans is now bolted in the car, i will update with pictures of how i adjust the shifter cables accordingly after i install the new cables.

Hope this helps whoever in the future.

spoulson

I have a couple questions about this process:

Are the gear ratios the same for front/rear diff with the 2G trans? Are there varying gear ratios out there?

The 1G and 2G trans have different front engine mounts. The 1G has it on the engine, 2G on the trans. Were you able to just remove the mount from the trans and have it fit? Did you use the 2G side mount or did the 1G mount get swapped in?

boostx

nice info , thanks

3Diamond

Awesome! This deserves to be in HOW-TO section!

IncorpoRatedX

Quote:
I have a couple questions about this process:

Are the gear ratios the same for front/rear diff with the 2G trans? Are there varying gear ratios out there?

The 1G and 2G trans have different front engine mounts. The 1G has it on the engine, 2G on the trans. Were you able to just remove the mount from the trans and have it fit? Did you use the 2G side mount or did the 1G mount get swapped in?

gear ratios are the same as the 1G/USDM GVR4's

the engine mounts are all removed, the speedo sensor needs to be swapped to the 1g mechanical style (sorry i left that out) and then you need to put the 1g driverside trans mount in as seen in the picture.

beaner

I've had problems in the past with tapping the pressure plate on with a rubber mallot. I just get the pins aligned and let the bolts suck the pins into the pressure plate.

Quote:
i seem to have this trend going with posting information on how to violate your GVR4 with parts from a girls car.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:

IncorpoRatedX

wondered if anyone would pick up on that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

galant344

axles and transfer case from 1g line up w/ 2g trans too?

IncorpoRatedX

yes they do.

strokin4dr

Did you have to remove the shifter counter weight from the tranny to clear the gvr4 lower radiator hose?

Quote:
I always put the disc and alignment tool on first, i've seen people try to put the
assembly on together.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

That's how I do it, there's nothing wrong with doing it that way, sometimes it's hard to get the clutch disc to stay in place when you put the pressure plate in. So yes it is harder to put in the car, but you don't have to worry about dropping the disc.
Quote:

please note: when tapping the word 'tap!' does not appear in mid air.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Quote:
axles and transfer case from 1g line up w/ 2g trans too?

uh i would assume that the tcase needs to be 23 spline for that to happen?

IncorpoRatedX

yes but all usdm gvr4's were oem with 23 spine. if yours has a 22 spline its because someone swapped it in

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Not true. 22 spline is what most GVR4s came with. Both stock original trannys out of my VR4s were 22 spline.

Polish

Mine was 22 spline stock also.

Jason G.

97 and up transmissions have a different final drive ratio and Mitsu had to change the ratio of the x case as well to be able to use the same rear end.

So if it's a 97 or up, be sure to get the matching x case.

IncorpoRatedX

uh.. the Tcase has ALWAYS been a 1:1

post factual information or post sources

as for the 22 spline bit.. i've only ever seen 23 spline gvr4's.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif my bad.

Jason G.

I'll see if I can dig up the source for you. I remember putting a 97 tranny in my friend's 95 when I was told I had to get the matching t case. Actually another friend sent me the specs of the gear ratios.

I try not to post wrong info, like the "all GVR4s came with 23 splines.."

Do you know what year your 2g trans. is?

IncorpoRatedX

im going to have to check into the 22/23 spline thing because i've only ever seen 22 spline trans' in 1990 cars.. mine is from a 95

464/2K

Quote:
yes but all usdm gvr4's were oem with 23 spine. if yours has a 22 spline its because someone swapped it in

post factual information or post sources

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned