The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

foward facing oil filter housing

I have heard that these wont fit right on the galant.
Can anyone tell me for sure if they do or dont.
And if they dont what exactly is it that causes the problem.
Please no speculations. I neeed info from those who have tried this or seen it forst hand.

My 02 housing hits the oil filter. So I need to find a oil filter that is about a half a inch shorter and screws onto the stock oil filter housing or use a different oil filter housing.

Look into the evo oil filter housing. I *THINK* it's shorter then the galant/T/E/L ones. I know for a FACT that the forward facing oil filter housing will work on galants if you have a remote oil filter/cooler setup on it and I have *HEARD* that you can use the forward facing housing with the evo filter.

The evo one is like the 7 bolts and wont bolt to a 6 bolt block.
As for the foward facing one what is it that hits.
I know I could do a oil filter relocation but I dont want to do that if I dont have to.

Polish

According to this post someone is. Click

Scroll to the bottom, it was even you who asked. The guy never posted pictures in that thread though.

Edit - Here are pics in this thread, he moved the filter though. Click, go to page 2.

Last edited:

Nothing on the housing hits. It seems that the oil filter is so long that when doing the forward facing housing you can't get the oil filter btwn the front support and the part you thread it on. Hence needing a shorter oil filter. Another downside of the lack of space btwn the motor and radiator core support on the galants.

I don't need a forward facing housing if I use a remote filter.
I want a definitive answer as to what exactly hits when trying to use the forward facing.

grocery_getter

Tom, I used a remote oil filter kit on my setup to give me some space down there. Even then, I cant use a smooth mandrel hose end, have to go with the brass 90deg block fitting and a hose barb screwed to the end of the 90deg.

I *was* eyeballing the forward facing oil filter housing a long time ago but the oil filter clearance is a big issue. I feel that if the motor torque enough that oil filter would touch the cross member. So then you would still have to run a remote oil filter setup even on a front facing mount.

At the end I decided to just stick with the stock 91 unit and just remote mount the oil filter. Plus now I am able to run the big giant oil filter.

Last edited:

Quote:
Tom, I used a remote oil filter kit on my setup to give me some space down there. Even then, I cant use a smooth mandrel hose end, have to go with the brass 90deg block fitting and a hose barb screwed to the end of the 90deg.

I *was* eyeballing the forward facing oil filter housing a long time ago but the oil filter clearance is a big issue. I feel that if the motor torque enough that oil filter would touch the cross member. So then you would still have to run a remote oil filter setup even on a front facing mount.

At the end I decided to just stick with the stock 91 unit and just remote mount the oil filter. Plus now I am able to run the big giant oil filter.

Can you send me a link where you bought the relocation kit.

grocery_getter

I bought one of those from Permacool. Summit list the part number as: PRM-10695 Single filter relocation kit.

It doesn't come with the tight 90deg brass elbow, just straight barb ends. I had to go buy 2 those from a hose and plumbing supplier.

grocery_getter

Yea they are good deep fried + a little hot sauce. Taste like chicken!

That suck I dont really like chicken.

Looks like I will just get the foward facing housing and that kit then and be done with it.
Thanks.

Rausch

they must have alot of those little guys running around! Summit has everything. i swear...

i have one of those penguins on the column of my toyota truck. they had a hottie last year at pri walking around sticking them on everyones shoulders.

gtluke

what kind of person doesn't like chicken?

bazeng

The forward facing housing will not allow you enough space for a oil filter relocation kit.. i have tried..

The bend off the screw on adaptor fouls the brace underneath..
even if you could get one that would clear just enough, the movement of the motor will probably crush the fitting...

I chopped my forward facing filter up and welded on some -10 AN fittings onto it to allow for a better dump pipe..

The use of a relocation kit with the stock oil filter housing doesn't really give you all that much room either...

To get the most space, the alternator and oil filter housing has to be moved..

here are some pictures of my setup.

STOCK HOUSING WITH RELOCATION KIT

STOCK VS FORWARD FACING

MODIFIED FORWARD FACING

Exhaust with new setup

So the anwser i would say is NO the forward facing will not allow an oil filter to clear with the engine movement etc..

the only reason the relocation kit did not clear on the forward facing filter was because when full tight, the fittings would be verticle, not horizontal, if horizontal, the fittings would clear the sub frame..

Last edited:

grocery_getter

Tom, I finally able to find time to snap a picture of my oil filter setup here...

Polish

I guess you all didn't look at the link I posted.

Here is as picture of the forward facing housing, installed.

img.php

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts