The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Brode FMIC + JDM bumper info needed

CP

Who has this setup and what mounting issues did you have, if any? I seem to recall something about relocating the mounting tabs for the intercooler, but couldn't find the info after a search. Will I have to cut my radiator support? I'm hoping that my oil cooler will fit between the intercooler and radiator, as it does now.

I'm ordering this in the next week. No fancy crap like short route piping or relocating the BPV...just a mirror of the stock pipe routing. Anything else I should have him do when I talk to him about the order?

Cy,
I searched but didn't find my old write up, here's what I recall.
1) The only mounting tab I used was the one that bolts to the hood latch.
2) Cut off the mounting tabs on the side of the ic or order it without them. They'll hinder installation of the fog lights.

You can clearly see the oil cooler fits behind the ic without any issues. The only thing I would have done differently is instead of cutting the left tab slant along the line of the ic is to cut it straight up so I wouldn't have that little gap after the bumper was installed.

I recently upgraded the cold side from 2.25" to the 2.5" that Jesse sells. The only thing needed is a 2.5" hump coupler. This was all done with the battery in it's original location.

CP

Sexy. You won't be able to see mine, as it's getting acid dipped black, or something like that.

So ditch the mounting tabs on the sides, and just keep the one on top. Got it. Did you cut your radiator support? My oil cooler is 2-3x as thick as the black one you've got there, but if thnew intercooler is about the same thickness of my current one, I think I'll be alright. Anyone else?

No cutting of the rad support. If your oil cooler is 3 times thicker, you may want to look into something that can act as an insulator so the oil cooler doesn't burn a hole in the ic. I think there was maybe only one other person that had this setup so you may not get too many responses.

I also think I had to bend the power steering line back as it was touching the back of the ic.

CP

Quote:
I recently upgraded the cold side from 2.25" to the 2.5" that Jesse sells.

What did that accomplish (tech info)?

It's suppose to allow more air flow to the intake. Most of the well put together cars I've seen have larger pipe on the cold vs. hot side. It should help to make more power that way vs same size pipe on both sides.

CP

Dave has been great with answering questions and returning emails for the last week or so. However I think I'm going to go with the ETS FMIC kit for the GVR4 instead. I can get stainless pipes, which I can't with the Brode kit, and the ETS FMIC is a bit larger than the one Dave sells.

Can anyone confirm that the ETS kit fits under the JDM front bumper with the projector fogs installed?

^Yep, Jen has the same kit with the jdm bumpers and fogs.

I have that core too but with the usdm bumper. I was told by them when I go to jdm bumpers I would need to move the core back a tad to make it work. If you are doing it all at the same time it will be no problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

CP

Good to know...thanks. It should be here next week sometime I think.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts