The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Galant GSX.......

Ok, this is my first post on this website, but I am no newbie when it comes to AWD DSM's. Im picking up a 1990 Galant GSX for free.. well the guy wants a little yard work. Car runs and everything. I was curious if anyone has done a 4G63T swap on this car? I want to make it a Rally Cross beater, and figured it would be a good platform to use. Will the AWD system from a T/E/L bolt up to this (I have many spare parts) or is it all different? Ive searched for write ups and such, but can find nothing. Any help would be great. Thanks!!

a2vr4

Welcome man!
Now for your questions, many people have done this swap that your talking about. Here is a ongoing post by one of our members who is currently doing this swap. In the future though, use the Search before asking any questions. Good luck on your project!
~Brian

a2vr4

also next time it might not hurt to post this in the Newbies section, judging from the fact that this is your first post on the board. It may be moved by the administrators. With that said, i do not doubt your dsm knowledge, but you are new to the board, and its good to find out how things are done here. I'm just trying to be helpful, other members have been known to be a little more harsh. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Last edited:

If you're new to the board, you may not know how to use the search feature correctly... If you want to search for "turbo upgrade" and don't want to see all of the responses also using the phrase," you put "+turbo +upgrade -re:". Good luck and you should be able to find a plentiful amount of information now that you know how to search the galantvr4.org way!

~Mark

P.S. Nice find!

Sorry. I tried searching, but spent about 2 hours sifting through all the posts, and got irritated.

Quote:
Sorry. I tried searching, but spent about 2 hours sifting through all the posts, and got irritated.

I wasn't ragging on you, I was just giving you tips so you don't have to spend two hours searching next time!

~Mark

IncorpoRatedX

hey thats my thread, yay /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif i'll be updating some more soon.

the galant gsx comes with shorter gearing in the transmission and rear end

also the transmission has a lower torque rating than turbo models

everything is swappable though if you keep the trans and rear diff ratios matching

IncorpoRatedX

please post your source of information showing that the transmission has a lower 'torque rating'

as far as i know the internals are the same as the dsm internals aside from gearing.

the bearings are different in the N/T trans. they can't handle the stress of a turbo engine. i'll try to find a link to where i found this.

to the original poster: yes, it's a pretty much bolt in swap aside from wiring the injectors and knock sensor.

additionally, the bellhousing won't fit with the turbo flywheel (diff. size), which means you have to use a n/t flywheel and clutch. people havne't found any n/t clutches that will handle the power of a turbo engine.

OldHairyBastard

Quote:
please post your source of information showing that the transmission has a lower 'torque rating'

as far as i know the internals are the same as the dsm internals aside from gearing.

The GSX trans is a lot different then the stock T/E/L and the Galant VR4. The Bell Housing is different, the shift arms on the trans are longer, the main input shaft has a carrier bearing at the end of it instead of a bearing and race, the center diff is a Little shorter and wider, the fifth gear and viscous are smaller"not as wide", the front diff is a taller gear as well as the rear diff and the end case is shallow due to the smaller viscous and fifth gear.

Quote:
the bearings are different in the N/T trans. they can't handle the stress of a turbo engine. i'll try to find a link to where i found this.

to the original poster: yes, it's a pretty much bolt in swap aside from wiring the injectors and knock sensor.

You will also have to change the sifter and shifter cables if you go with a T/E/L trans and you will have to change the rear diff as well to a Galant VR4 or a T/E/L.

Quote:
additionally, the bell housing won't fit with the turbo flywheel (diff. size), which means you have to use a n/t flywheel and clutch. people havne't found any n/t clutches that will handle the power of a turbo engine.

The stock clutch is a lot smaller and can't really handle the power of a turbo motor abusing it. You can switch out all of these things and have a really nice car.

You could take the front diff out of the GSX trans and place it into the T/E/L trans and then you wouldn't have to change out the rear diff and you will have a better gear for the hyway as well.

Doug

This thread may be a couple years old, but it had all the answers I needed! Thanks search button!

strokin4dr

This newbie deserves an award for actually learning to use the search button!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Some guys with 500+ post still haven't figured it out yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

misterfixit

GSX has w5m31 trans
VR4 has w5m33

the 3 signifies differences in the centre diff, gear cluster and casing.

Rich

Yeah, well I'm new here, but not to boards in general. You guys are sweethearts to newbs compared to the guys on pirate 4x4... But they get some really dumb newbs there...
My GGSX is coming along... just need to find a 1g AWD donor car...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

doing a gsx swap is fun. what do you need to know? its really all not that difficult.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned