The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

JDM Trans - c51ph Help!

MMorgan

I have a 90 Talon tsi awd project car and need help. I can't find this anywhere. I've found a lot of sites that just say something about a c51ph transmission being a JDM or AUS gvr4 trans.

What I need to know is what is needed to make this work? I've got complete 90 and 91+ shifter assemblies and parts but can't get it to work right. This trans was in a 91 and worked flawlessly but can't remember how it was installed when it was taken out(the car was a engine donor car) Any assistance would be appreciated. I'm trying to get this done before the end of the season so I can make it to the finals.

MMorgan

Had some wrong info to start with. a c51ph works with a complete 90 setup.

to make a c51ph jdm transmission work, you will need the following parts

90 DSM shifter cables
90 DSM shifter assembly
90 DSM cable bracket that bolts to the transmission

OR

Change the shifter arms on the transmission to 91-94 DSM or 91-92 GVR4 shifter arms.

The C51PH JDM trans is just like a 90 DSM so the same parts are required for a 90 trans swap into a 91+ DSM or GVR4. Swapping in a 90 trans and changing the shifter arms on the transmission is supposed to make it a "short shifting" transmission. Good luck getting the pin out of the arms.

More information/pictures/comparisons of 90 to 91-94 DSM transmission components can be found here:

90 and 91-94 DSM Trans parts comparison

I was going to take the pictures and write it all up cause it would make a good thread for the how-to section, maybe someone else can take care of it?

Last edited by a moderator:

G

Staff member
Is the info here on the c51ph still accurate?

EMX5636

I'm using a 90 bellhousing in my GVR4 for the short shifting purpose. You can do it with standard 91+ cables and shifter with some cable adjustment and shifter stops so you don't over throw the forks and break one inside the trans.

Edit... sucked into a dead post. Thanks G. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Last edited:

prove_it

I did the same for a while too, no issues with it, that was until 1st gear blow up.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts