The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Setting the thrust bearing

i'm at that point in my 2.4 build where i'm dropping the crank onto the ACLs.

This is what i've been told to do:

drop in crank, tighten caps to 20ft/lbs, then back off to finger tight, then hit ends of crank with rubber mallet to align the thrust bearing. then tighten down the 4 outer caps to 49 ft/lbs. proceed to apply force on the crank with a prybar in the direction that the clutch would normally. while applying force tighten down the middle (thrust) cap.

any other random factoids people want to remind me to do so i dont screw this spendy piece of hardware up?

might want to check crank endplay while youre at it.
ive also always used either a lead hammer or a block of wood and a plain ol bfh. i dont think you will get enough force with a rubber mallet.

1. Lightly seat (10-20 ft/lbs) all of the caps.
2. Back off finger tight.
3. Wiggle crank around to get the end most caps aligned
4. Torque down each tied (1-2, 4-5) cap set to specification
5. Very lightly seat the #3 cap
6. Pry/tap it to the rear
7. Tap crank back towards front to align rear thrust surface
8. Torque #3 cap
9. Check to make sure thrust is not on low side of spec (indicates misaligned cap)
10. Check crank rotation after every final torque.

^^^ Nothing but!

Works like a charm. I've done three stock rebuilds and all of them have at least 5k on them, one is over 10k.

~Mark

can someone explain why this must be done? i did it, but i didnt really see what difference it made when i built my motor

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts