The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Another brake pad discussion

chucklesas

Well, I just put on some new stock brakes, thinking the ones on there were just tired and old. I guess that's just how the brakes are. I didn't realize how much nicer the stopping was with my other Galant with stock rotors and Axxis Metal Master Pads. So I'm trying to find something of similar or better quality. I haven't been able to find the Metal Master pads for the VR4 lately (bought them on Ebay last time). So I was curious if the Hawks or EBCs were comparable to the Axxis pads. I'm not looking to take the car to the track or anything like that. I just really liked the brake response I had with my other car.
Thanks guys,

chucklesas

I think they were the ceramics by the way.

atc250r

Staff member
In case you didn't know, the GVR4 pads are the same as the 1G DSM with big brakes. Hope that helps.

John

I would say that the Hawk HPS are better.
I use the HPS on the fronts and Metal Masters on the rear ( you cant get HPS`s for the rears)

chucklesas

Quote:
In case you didn't know, the GVR4 pads are the same as the 1G DSM with big brakes. Hope that helps.

John

I wasn't sure if was 1Gs or 2Gs, thanks.

atc250r

Staff member
FWIW I'm pretty sure that the AWD 2G's also have the same pads and the 1997 and up Diamante as well but don't hold me to it.

John

Charles, I'm actually surprised you found that the Axxis pads were any good. I've used both the MM'S and EBC Greens on the GVR4, and can honestly say they were both crap. The EBC's will fade on the street with hardly any provocation, and I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy.

Now, I know I keep banging on about them, but I'll say it again; Carbotech Panther Plus. They are without doubt the best pads I have ever used on any car. They have absolutely transformed my car and the way I'm able to drive it; it's like I've had a caliper/rotor size upgrade. They dust little and what they do is non-corrosive, the compound is easy on rotors, and they work well from cold. Bite is clean and consistent with pressure. I can't say enough good things about them; I'm utterly converted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

People on the lancerregister.com are paring them with the stock 4-pots on Evo's, and comparing them favorably to full 6-pot AP Big-Brake kits!

chucklesas

Well, the Axxis pads perform much better than the ones that come with loaded calipers. So that's all I've had to compare them to, which is why I like them. Now if I was an auto crosser or road racer I might think differently about them, but for the daily use they were pretty nice, except for the whole brake dust issue.

skivittlerjimb

Pricey, but Porterfield R4S pads are buttah. Work for all temps. on the street, won't eat your rotors, and even work for light track duty. Expect to pay about $120, though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

-Jim B.
1432/2000

where can one buy the carbotech's? i'm looking for a front pad upgrade soon. i have rear ebc greens brand new as i coudln't find a decent pad for the rear that wasn't way up there in money. i'm more concerned with the fronts anyway.

The easiest way to buy Carbotech pads is to go direct: Carbotech Pads. Considering how amazing they are, they're fairly cheap as well. Now that I've had them, I'd pay double what they charge.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts