The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Defi BF gauges installed in A/C console ... new pics !!!

cheekychimp

This is a picture of my 1998 JDM VR4. In the centre console under the vents you can see the 'new' Mitsubishi A/C controls.

Now, I'm not sure what the deal with Paulo is right now but he was building me two A-pillar pods to house four gauges. If those pods don't turn up I have four gauges to mount and I really don't want it to look like crap.

So first off, what's the diameter of the three dial housings in the manual A/C controls here

Assuming they will allow my three DEFi BF gauges to fit, how difficult would it be to wire up the new A/C controls in the first pic to operate the JDM climate control in my VR4. I'm not looking for a wiring diagram I know you guys won't have that. I'm just assuming that each button will send a signal down a wire to operate vents in the underdash unit. Surely if I power the new A/C and use a multimeter to see which wire is associated with which button I can rewire it to operate the corresponding controls in the old climate control. A new thermostat to match it and I would be good to go wouldn't I?

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

toybreaker

iconoclast
The electronic climate control system will probably use little stepper motors to move flaps and/or blend doors on the hvac housing.

While the construction/operation would be similar, I would think it would be easier to match the controls to the housing. I don't believe there will be a provision to mount the stepper motors to the housing, and the leverage/direction may be different, neccesitating some fab work.

Is it possible to retrofit the entire hvac housing/ducting/wiring harness from the later car to the earlier car?

cheekychimp

Quote:
While the construction/operation would be similar, I would think it would be easier to match the controls to the housing. I don't believe there will be a provision to mount the stepper motors to the housing, and the leverage/direction may be different, neccesitating some fab work.

Yes but I already have the JDM climate control unit with the HVAC housing and stepper motors levers etc. I'm talking about rewiring the new control unit so that the corresponding buttons operate the correct stepper motors. Surely it's just a 12V solenoid on the stepper motor switched on or off by the requisite buttons?

toybreaker

iconoclast
It sounds very doable, with a bit 'o fab work.

We used a 3000gt vr4 electronic climate control system in a vintage muscle car. It worked out really well, and the control head was hidden in the console for a cleaner install. We cut the whole system out of a vr4, and then split the hvac wires out of the harness, and it was way easier than one would think. The ambient temp sensors and sunload sensors were an important detail that took some time to sort out, but when done it was soooo cool.

If you've got the whole system out of a later car, I would imagine it would be pretty straightforward, compared to the other cool guy stuff you're doing. The only thing that I can see that would be a pita is all the duct thermistors and misc. sensors that would have to be installed in roughly the same locations to ensure a seamless operation.

With my luck, I'd place a thermistor in a duct with such an orientation that it would whistle a high "c", and/or piss off every dog within 5 kilometers....

cheekychimp

Seems it might be worth pursuing then, so can anyone measure the diameter of those three dials and see if they are anywhere near 60 mm

Paul

Paul,
I measured them to be 2.45 inches or 62.2 mm with the dials in place. Not sure if there is a flange or anything behind the dials that make the opening smaller.
Mike R.

cheekychimp

Mike,

Thanks, I saw your post this morning but I didn't have time to reply. I'm sure there must be a slightly smaller opening behind and the extra 2 mm diameter should allow the Defis to sit snug in the recesses. I think it could work out really really well.

Paul.

Edit: Mmmm well I just measured the Defi gauges and the outer bezel is actually closer to 65mm ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif I only measured with a ruler, besides I figure there's still a bit of material that it might be feasible to pare off; but it would probably need machining. I have a friend with a lathe but that's not the ideal machine for this!!!

Looks like I'll be doing a visit to the parts man to pick up one of these centre sections for a RHD car and taking a closer look at things!

Last edited:

powerplay

Paul, I measured the actual opening in a spare dash piece and I would say they are 62 mm. However, there is material that could be removed fairly easily to accommodate a larger opening.

cheekychimp

Scott,

Do they flare out? I'm actually looking at it now and wondering if they might 'jam' into the holes about halfway down. They could be secured from the rear and as long as they filled the openings without obscuring the mounting screws it might look alright. I think I'll just have to get the section from the junkyard and play with it. I am beginning to think however it might look better than pillar pods.

Paul.

Anyone has the wiring diagram for 1991 JDM VR4 A/C control unit? I plan to take a 1998 JDM VR4 A/C control unit n replace it.

cheekychimp

Copy Cat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Shoot me a PM with your e-mail. I have them all but they are on my laptop at work. I can send them tomorrow. Maybe we can work on this together I am actually quite worried about getting the 1998 control unit to work with the 1991 HVAC unit. I'd appreciate some help and besides, I need to ask you about that bonnet of yours it is awesome !!!

Paul.

cheekychimp

Scott,

That is awesome ... thank you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

It could be a bit tight. The walls between the centre and outer holes won't allow for much increas in diameter without becoming very weak. Another option of course could be to put the Defi gauge in the lathe and take some material off the bezel. It's a frightening thought with an expensive gauge but it will probably be easier and the amount of material taken off can be controlled.

I still think the real proof will be when I drop the gauge in the hole and see just how much space there is !!!

Wow, you guys are crazy moving climate control from one car to the other. Good luck with that, looks like it will be quite a bit of work, although definately possible.

Polish

I tried to do this and didn't like the result. I don't have Air/Heat so I could have easily mounted my gauges in those spots. I just didn't like it. Depending on the gauge is how tight it will be. My Greddy 60mm is a little smaller than my Apexi 60mm gauge. The other thing is when you slide the gauge in it wants to angle downwards because of the panel orientation. That is bad, in the instructions for gauges it shows them mounted all ways but tilted down. I guess it can make them inaccurate perhaps.

cheekychimp

Good Point !!! That said, I think with a little thought that problem could be overcome. I'm sure if you get the angle correct first and decide where you want them you could fab up some plastic pipe inserts in the right diameter to fill the holes and finish it off with bondo, filler or whatever. At the end of the day I could get the whole thing flocked to match the dash. The more I think about it the more I like it.

But I do appreciate the heads up about the angle although I figured the gauges would just face straight, rather than tilt down.

Paul.

Last edited:

Polish

It could easily be changed to make them sit correctly. I just wanted to let you know so it wasn't a suprise that you have to modify it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Edit- I tell you what if I am not still feeling sick tonight I will take my spare one and slide a gauge into it so you can see.

Edit # 2- I love the interior of that newer Galant. It looks similar to my Diamante except much cooler.

Last edited by a moderator:

cheekychimp

Quote:
I love the interior of that newer Galant. It looks similar to my Diamante except much cooler.

Thanks! Here's another view from the back seat at night!

Polish

Wow that is awesome, is that real CF in the seats? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

cheekychimp

Nope sorry, it's ricer fake plastic carbon effect just like the dash ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

But my brother would say "If you need to ask, does it really matter?"

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts