The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

A/C Problems

So I tried to charge my A/C and noticed all the r134 was fogging into the interior of the car as it got sucked in. Does that mean the evaporator core is bad? If so, how hard is it to change and are replacements available or do I have to take my chances with a used one hoping that wont leak either? Any help appreciated, thanks.

DEFINITELY sounds like the evaporator his cooled its last cool. Probably a hole in the inlet or outlet tube, or in the core somewhere. If it were me, I was planning on keeping the car for any extended amount of time and valued A/C the way I do I'd pick up a new one at your local parts store, if not the dealer ( $$)

I've never tackled an evaporator on a GVR-4 (though I've been through about every other A/C component), but I did have to pull out the lower ducting, evaporator and box on my 1G to get at the wiring harness. Let me tell ya, I'd rather not go through that debacle again! Not fun and I sure don't envy you right now. Though, I do loves me some cold A/C... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Some pages from the FSM that may help you out:

ken inn

i pulled the evaporator. you can easily do it with the dash still in place. when i did the heater core, i had to pull the dash. you do have to pull the glovebox, then you access it from there. iirc, only 4 bolts/nuts hold it in place. i would never put a used evap in. think about it, any used one is gonna be 15 years old. if you like doing the job, go ahead. i only changed the expansion valve. you wont believe all the crap that gets in there.

CP

There are enough people here who have deleted the AC that you should be able to find used parts if you don't want to drop the coin on new stuff.

Thanks alot for the replys! Anyone have any idea what a new evap. costs from a parts store or if they would even carry it? What else should I replace while I have it apart if anything? Thanks again guys

s_firestone

Don't bother wasting money on a new part, just get one off the board in good condition. I would check that its not simply an O-ring at the firewall(2 O-rings) or expansion valve(3 O-rings). It's pretty rare for an aluminum evaporator to spring a leak. Not impossible, but far less likely than an O-ring. The O-rings on the other hand are rubber, they are the only thing keeping the refrigerant in the system. After 14 years they are the weakpoint in the system. I say pull the evaporator and inspect it before forking up money for a new one.

Replace the expansion valve (about $50) and drier (about $45) and all the O-rings in the system.

ken inn

the reason i would go new is because i sell the crap out of evaps. or, at least, i USED to. even tho they are for german cars, i would think they are all made the same. i also have a couple of friends who work at a/c stores here in dallas, and they sell the crap out of them, even to dealers. including japanese cars. a closed system is way less chance of corrosion, once the system is open, and no lubricant, like an evap sitting around for years, it can corrode. i hate redoing stuff, especially a/c, where you gotta evacuate, put a new drier, then the cost of the freon, etc.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts