The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Acura NSX COP is Done

atc250r

Staff member
I finally got around to getting this done. I had it done once before but it would begin to break up under boost. The service manual had very poor pics showing which pin on the coil pack was what so I had a hard time figuring out which pin did what without a connector to read the wire colors from. A couple of weeks ago I was lucky enough that another tech at my dealer had to do an engine harness on a 2002 Acura RL and that has the same coils/connectors. I cut the coil pack connectors off the harness and re-wired the coils. Its now working well and the idle/part throttle driveability is definitely improved. I'm going to have a few sets of these coils for sale if anyone wants them please check the FS section over the next couple of days.

I know that they're kind of big and bulky but I trust the quality of the Acura/Honda part over anything that Chrysler offers. The plate I used is just a standard blank plate that I drilled my own holes in and tapped the ones that are used to bolt the coils down. I'll post some pics of the individual coils when I start the FS thread. BTW, all 1996-2004 3.5 RL's have these coils too so they'd be a lot easier to find than NSX coils since I doubt there are very many NSX's in the junkyards. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I almost forgot to thank KingGalantVr4 for his help when I was first toying with this idea. His knowledge and expertise gave me the confidence to try it myself.

John

Last edited:

Romanova

Since the NSX sees 8,000RPMs without problems, maybe there won't be the high RPM cutout that some people reported with the Crapsler COPs?

Awesome work!

blacksheep

honda power, babeee! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Good work, John! I wonder if the Evo guys would find this useful I know Curtis has had some issues with the crapsler coils on the Evo! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

rheckert

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gifNice work.

Where do you find the time to do all this work John? Business must be slow @ work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Keep us posted, great job /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif I'd love to see some dyno sheets now compared to before.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Do these coils have internal transistors? How are you firing them? Do you have a wiring schematic of how you hooked them up?

Brianawd

Looks good. Just a FYI. I have the BR COP on my car and it works great. Have not had any cutting out in the top end. Even on race gas and 28psi with spark plug gap at 32.

atc250r

Staff member
Quote:
Do these coils have internal transistors? How are you firing them? Do you have a wiring schematic of how you hooked them up?

No internal transistors. I'm firing them with the stock igniter so they are still being run as a waste spark system but it seems to be an improvement over stock and now I don't have to buy wires anymore. I wired them just like the schematic in the how-to forum shows.

We're acutally insanely busy at work right now but I was able to do all the wiring on my lunch hour one day. The part that took the longest was getting time to install them on the car and take it for a proper road test. I'm hoping to get an hour or so to re-wire the SAFC this week and try the 660 VPC chip that one of the guys here burned for me. If I can get those two things done on the car then I'd call this week very productive.

I don't see much sense in dynoing them, it costs too much money for dyno time to see if my COP that I have $5 invested in makes more power than stock. I think the biggest improvement with them is driveability and not max HP.

I think curtis might need to use the 1G igniter in order to make the Intrepid coils work on an Evo. I'm pretty sure that when Nate Crisman went to 1G wires/coils on his Evo he used a stock 1G igniter.

John

curtis

John I did use the 1st gen ignitor on the car. I think its something to do with charge time (4 coils instead of 2) and or amperes going to the coils. We're getting the volts and the resistance in each of the coils match perfect. The problem is my buddy gives up way to easy on stuff, he's abandoned the project way before we got started. I might be able to get him fired up to do it again but with him who knows.

Gvr4-330

A few questions as I'm piecing together a COP setup now.

Did you use the noise suppressor in your setup? What does it do? Does it hurt anything if I leave it off?

Rob

curtis

It doesn't hurt if you leave it off, its mainly for the radio anyway. If you want to put it in anyway just connect the lead to the junction of the 2 12 volt hots and attach it to the plate. Thats how I have mine wired up.

atc250r

Staff member
I've been meaning to post back in here. It's great at part throttle but still has a high rpm/boost issue causing the car to break up and back fire. I'm done with it for now, I've wasted enough time and I ordered a set of NGK wires the other day.

John

Thats too bad to hear that. Do u have any idea why it is breaking up at the top? I am curious to know if the problem goes away when u get NGK back on.

atc250r

Staff member
It still does it a little at 25psi with the new plugs/wires but that is just the car leaning out do to the stock fuel lines (I guess). I don't have time to fool with it right now.

John

atc250r

Staff member
Yeah, I have a wideband on it but it is happening way too early to be leaning out.

John

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts