The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Which fitting to use for AC re-charge/re-fill?

CP

The one up by the radiator, or the one back by the brake master cyl?

atc250r

Staff member
The hose end should only fit on one. You want to fill on the low pressure line which is the fatter of the two lines. I can't remember which fitting is where and my AC is LOOOOONNNGGG gone.

John

spooling92vr4

the low side is on the compressor. atleast in my car.. so id say the one closer to the brake master cylinder.. good luck..

s_firestone

+1 Charge from the low side fitting right on top of the compressor. Don't tip the can, you want gas not liquid. Never try to charge from the high side line near the front.

CP

The directions on the can say to turn it upsidedown once the stuff starts flowing out. I've got one with a gauge and hose that's re-usable. Now you're saying that I shouldn't turn the can over?

CP

How do I know when it's full (wondering if this one tall can will be enough)?

atc250r

Staff member
Without gauges you can't be sure if its full. If its cold then call it good and see what happens from there.

John

s_firestone

The reason you not supposed to turn it upside down is that the low side port is literally the entrance to the piston. Liquids and pistons are not compatible because liquid is incompressible. You do not want to blow out your compressor rings or seals. If you let any liquid refrigerant enter the system let it expand and boil into a gaseous state on its own. You can aid this by starting up the car without the AC and letting it warm up. This raises the temperature and pressure, forces the liquid to its boiling point.

That can may have a restrictor that does not allow liquid to flow but only gas. Everything I have been taught says you are not supposed to allow liquid on the low side. If you do, just allow it time to boil and become gaseous. Do not under any circumstances allow liquid while the compressor is running.

The normal refrigerant charge as listed in the service manual is: 33 Ounces (fluid)

That figure is based R12 but R134a is a different gas and although the amounts will be close the required working volume of refrigerant will be different. Use the listing on your can to determine if you have enough. A factory charge equates to 2 1/2(Two and one half) - 12 Ounce cans(the little cans at the auto parts store).

The amount of refrigerant listed is a guide. The actual amount is where the temperature at the vent is coldest. The compressor should stay on steadily fairly steadily and not cycle on/off/on/off at intervals of less than about every 30 seconds.

CP

All set. Thanks everyone. It only took one of those large bottles. I tried to put another smalled bottle's contents into it, but it wouldn't take any more.

I'll see how well it actually works on the way home from work today, when it's supposed to be in the mid 90s here in the Boston area...ugh.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts