The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

alright, whats the consensus on the evo 8 suspension now?

gtluke

i've searched and read all the posts i can on the subject but i'm still kinda confused.
is there a general consensus on what the best path is?
for the rears you use the whole thing assembled and weld on the mount, easy.

in the front do i have to use the galant top mount?
cut the front springs 1 coil? on the top or bottom?
whats the deal with the rotation thing? cut 3/4 of a spring to make it sit in the top mount better?
i'm so confused.
help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
-luke-

gtluke

okay i got my evo struts and i understand now why i have to use the galant top mount.
any tips on spring cutting?

gtluke

no i have factory 239,000 mile mitsu struts.
there is another luke on this forum though.

GVR-4

Quote:
okay i got my evo struts and i understand now why i have to use the galant top mount.
any tips on spring cutting?

Grinder with a cutoff wheel? That's what I used.

gtluke

no i mean like where to cut. one of the posts mentions cutting off 45 deg from exactly 1 coil i think.

s_firestone

I would like to know this information too.

I took a picture of the EVO spring and did a rough dissection showing that the ends are exactly 180 degrees apart. Can anyone indicate the exact location the spring needs to be cut from this diagram? I cannot tell the orientation of top vs. bottom (if any).

atc250r

Staff member
Cutting the springs is one of those things that you just have to cut a little and if its not enough then cut a little more. I wouldn't just lop off a bunch because what worked for someone else may not work for you.

John

Luke

Quote:
no i have factory 239,000 mile mitsu struts.
there is another luke on this forum though.

I must be "the other luke" you mentioned.

I have tried it all. Here they are in order:

1. Stock suspension.
2. Whiteline springs with AGX shocks
3. JIC with 8kg/6kg springs
4. JIC with QA1 progressive springs
5. EVO shocks and EVO springs
6. EVO shocks and Espelir springs
7. ( current setup ) Hotbits with 8kg/5kg springs

I have also test driven my buddy's galant with DMS 50mm.

Last edited:

Quote:

1. Stock suspension.

Can you post a little blurb about each setup?

curtis

Cut the bottoms of the front springs. I do it on a table saw with a 10 inch steel chop saw blade. I stand the spring up on end and lay the cut edge against the saw blade push stright forward and cut exactly one twist off. You'll love it. No problems except the rearend kicking out a little. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

GVR-4

Quote:
Quote:

1. Stock suspension.

Can you post a little blurb about each setup?

+1

I'd recommend not cutting the Evo springs at all, your car
will handle nicely at stock height with the Evo springs.

If you must lower your car, get the Evo Espelir springs,
rather than sawing up the stockers. Cut springs do not fit
correctly, and may come unseated.

V8EATER

I thought I read that if you don't cut the front coils, that the car sits way too high, and with lots of pos camber. I talked to rre, and they suggested that I cut my front 1g awd springs! I wasn't sure, but they assured me that it's ok, as long as the spring has no slop at full droop. So, I'm running one coil less in the front, and it hasn't come unseated at all.

These are not evo springs, but i'm assuming that as long as you cut exactly one coil, it should fit back into the groove just fine, ie not come unseated. Just my .02

The springs are bent flat on the top and bottom, so the whole loop
will rest against the mount, like this:
|\/\/\|
if you cut it, the spring looks like this:
|\/\/
So only the very end of the last coil is touching.

If you don't beat on the car, then the spring probably
won't come unseated. But why are you upgrading the
suspension if you aren't going to beat on it?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also, both myself and Luke have run uncut evo springs with evo shocks.
The car ends up stock height, with whatever camber your alignment shop gives you, which for me is -2deg.

Scott Y

I have EVO VIII suspension, and without cutting the front springs the camber up front was very obviously positive and the ride height was much higher than stock.
I don't understand how we have such varying results from people performing the exact same mod. Since I can only talk about my own experience, I suggest you check out the pics from this how-to and see what my results were. Uncut OEM front EVO VIII springs/struts added about an inch of ride height to the front, with much positive camber. Since there is no way to adjust camber up front with the stock mounts, I cut a coil to bring the ride height down/decrease camber and ended up with acceptable camber and nearly stock ride height.

I'll take some more pics of how I had to position the coil in the strut in order to keep the top of the coil sitting correctly in the top mount. I've put over 8000 miles on this setup, and I'd do the mod again in a heartbeat.

If you want, PM me and we can get on the phone and perhaps I can describe better verbally what I had to do regarding rotating the spring around to make it sit nicely in the top mount.

As in the HOWTO thread, you need to slot the top hole in the Evo strut so that you can adjust camber. Otherwise, the bolt offset from the strut is greater on the Evo and will give you positive camber regardless of ride height.

I just measured my car, 3" front fender gap with stock wheels/tires. I wonder if you used more spacers in between the Galant top mount, and the Evo upper spring perch? You can see my car's height here: Evo VII Suspension Thread

i'm not sure what everyone else is doing with slots and cuts and such, but here's what i did, and it rides awesome!!! it feels like a bmw (tight but compliant over the small stuff) i have espelir evo8 springs i believe they're 0.9 in drop all around. i figured if you can use oem evo springs, why not better aftermarket ones? and i have 1g awd KYB AGX struts all around. i'll take some pics soon if you guys want to check it out. i have my original tops all around. ive autox'd it and it was great. soon to road race at houston motorsports ranch. one thing i did in the back was flip the spring. so it sits on the upper part of the perch. but iv'e had no problems (squeaks,ratlles or anything) and like i said, no cutting, notching, or modifications.
and it is lower than stock, looks good. and to be honest i havent even taken it to get an alignment yet. no abnormal tire wear whatsoever. 3k so far. as soon as get my afco rear arms, and my frt. upper pillow moiunts in,i will be getting one.

b00st33d

^^^^ post pics please!!! is this the Espelir GT or the Espelir ASD? what's your settings on your AGX's?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts