The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Mega Squirt Fuel Injection?

I have been doing allot of research lately and am starting to like this setup more and more. Just wondering who has one, and how much was the total investment? I have their website so I don't need it, or the prices on the stuff so save your time looking. Im just wondering what is everything you need to make it work and the total cost on what you have into it, and how you like it. I have someone that can assemble it for me. Thanks

its fairly cheap, but you have to build you own components, which is why you dont see it more often. when it works it works damn good though. theres a guy around here with it on his alltrac

93accordEX

A lot of bimmer people run megasquirt. it can be a great system to run, but its a major PITA to install.

gaylantvr4

Quote:
its fairly cheap, but you have to build you own components, which is why you dont see it more often. when it works it works damn good though. theres a guy around here with it on his alltrac

They come preassembled now all you do is buy the spuirt and wire away. I will direct deisalgreek to this thread. He has done quiet of few megasquirts on dsm's and was one of the first one to do a megasquirt on a dsm.

gtluke

he's too busy getting reamed out for talking about it on posdsm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

spoulson

I've been checking up on standalones recently for another project. One limiting factor, IMO, is it only has 2 injector drivers. This means you need to run batch or bank mode. You can't run sequential fuel injection. In other words, instead of firing the individual injector only during that cylinder's intake stroke, you fire half injectors at one crank position, and the other half at another, whether those cylinders are at intake or not.

Sure, it works, but it's a step backwards in EFI technology. One could argue that when you're injector is nearly maxed at 80% duty cycle, you're firing when the valves are closed anyway. So it's your preference, I guess. Our cars have pretty advanced EFI out of the box. I would sooner consider an AEM.

Most aftermarket EFI systems run single or dual injector drivers as their "base" configuration. Sequential EFI is most important for emissions control, there is some good reading on the internet why SEFI is not important from a performance standpoint, and little from an economy/emissions standpoint. On one 4G63, we logged 30+ mpg using 110 octane fuel during a drive to/from our local track (30 miles each way), using "alternating bank" firing, and the owner reports good throttle response, and no stumbles, equal to a factory tune. Note that most high powered aftermarket EFI'd cars, are using either batch fire or bank-to-bank. There is ONE major advantage of SEFI, however; tuning individual cylinders!! V engines, and some inline 6s, can have a harder time getting even fuel/air distribution than what we've seen on the 4G63, and in these cases tuning individual cylinder trims would be a benefit. I haven't needed it on a 4G63 however.

Same as with an AEM, with practice one can make megasquirt run the 4G63 as well as a factory issue tuneup. WOT is easiest to tune; it's the cold start, part throttle drivability, warmup drivability, etc. that is most challenging. I think we have really good maps for a variety of combos that I'm willing to share/discuss etc.

Megasquirt is technically a "Do-It-Yourself" project; but don't let that fool you into thinking it's "homebrew" or "unreliable" and especially don't let it make you think that it's not feature-rich!! The original designers were "in charge" of EFI for a large US automaker, Megasquirt is their gift to the Grassroots/DIY autosport community.

Megasquirt has been carried further by guys like Eric Fahlgren and James Murray, both professional programmers & major gearheads. Actually, something like 50 people are contributing to software & hardware for the MS; the recent v3.0 circuit board was designed by a guy who designs electronics for the swiss military, with upgrades for "extreme low temperatures" (so the guys who 4-wheel in the Arctic can start their trucks at 60 below zero, and still connect with "Megatune").

Development includes a number of "testers" (I'm a beta tester) that must implement, and report status of, any new features before they're released to the General Public. Documentation is now being better organized (although, FAQ's for specific engines are in need of more help; thankfully, a guy on dsmtuners has put up a howto that applies to Galants as well as DSMs). I've asked for features to be added to Megasquirt's "Extra" firmware a few times, and they were implemented within 2 weeks of my request.

Anyways, lots of people like to say the MS is "cheap junk" or all kinds of hater things that get said when something new comes out, and outperforms other systems in the price/performance category.

To run megasquirt on a 4G63 and control both fuel and ignition timing, you need to use the original "Megasquirt-I" chip, and I recommend using the version 3.0 circuit board with that. Then you must make a few modifications that are well documented on the dsmtuners HOWTO. Basically, you are "conditioning" the CKP and CMP signals from the 4G63 "Cam Angle Sensor" to make the MS capable of reading them (2 simple pullup resistors). Then, you configure two of the "LED" circuits on the MS to provide a 5-volt pulse to trigger the 4G63's "Power Transistor" which then fires the coils.

I'm sure there are more specific questions, go ahead and ask them! I'll answer as quickly as I can.

thanks,
-scott

incorrect, it has knock based timing control. As a tuner however, I'd suggest NOT using it for anything more than an emergency timing retard, in case you get a bad batch of pump gas. Since you're running "MSnS-Extra" in order to use the 4G63 CAS, you have it - and many other things - as options.

Read this link to get the lowdown on MS options: http://megasquirt.sourceforge.net/extra/

-scott

How much for a total system if I build it myself. Also can you PM me your phone number so I can further discuss this system. Thanks for all your input, it looks like you have done your homework on the system.

You can do a complete setup for under $400 if you do it all yourself. The V3 MS is about $180 for a kit, and $350ish for a prebuilt unit. I get mine from DIYautotune.com and there's a good guide on setup for 4G63 on his site. There's a better HOWTO going on at dsmtuners.com though. Works for the galant just fine.

Around here, I have people sending me their cars for the complete deal, that seems to run around $1400ish for an install and tuned, but I only do this as a hobby - not professionally. I'm not a paid advertiser here either, so I don't want to step on any toes.

That being said, I've received a few PMs from people. I would be just as happy helping guys do it by themselves, as I would being paid to build MS and send it "ready to go." But I guess if someone has a major project going on and no time to worry about building and tuning the MS, gimme a shout.

How much time is it going to take to fine tune it for the drivability? Also, how user friendly is it?

Are you the one that tuned the red 2g that blew up on the dyno. It looked like it was running awesome until the rod bolt let loose. It also looked like it idled great.

I'd suggest doing some reading.

It's the same as an AEM as far as "learning curve" but, there's a bit more support online if you have problems. There's a good tuning guide in teh "MegaManual" http://www.megamanual.com/v22manual/mtabcon.htm

User friendliness is as well organized, and more easy to understand, than an AEM in my opinion. Easier than ANY standalone I have tuned, actually (DFI GEn 6 & 7, some haltech, FAST, BigStuff3).

I've made plenty of maps that apply to different combos you are likely to have though, we have real good drivability on these cars and have shown that one tune can get you running and real close, with you only having to debug and do final tuning yourself.

Yes, that was ours. Wish we hadn't video'd it coming apart, since now it seems many sites believe the megasquirt "blows up 4G63s"

but whatever. It's on a TON of cars I tune. It's remarkably reliable!! We drove it on Parish's blue truck for 2400 miles last year, all around the midwest for that Drag Week thing in Hot Rod magazine, and had exaclty ZERO issues with the MS. I brought enough spare parts to MS the entire fleet of Drag Week cars, but never once had any issues. I'm sold on it's reliability, as much as any other standalone. The new v3 board is designed to be competitive with what you get from the commercial vendors.

-scott

Can you write up a list on all the parts you need and what version is the best to run. Also can I order from you or should I order from DIY.

What about the base maps. Thank you for all of this info and for helping that guy write that article, you are a valuable resource to the dsm community.
P.S. are you the one that tuned that red 2g that blew up?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts