The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1g DSM driveshaft fit a galant???

My lobro joint has alot of play and the carrier bearings are sloppy, causing a severe vibration and clunking...i looked into getting my driveshaft rebuilt and the guy said $1k and it would take a week. Plus, as of today, there are NO OEM lobro joints in the US. My local dealer said he can get one, but it could be up to 3months to get here from Japan!

So I was wondering if I can just take a 1g dsm driveshaft and swap it to the vr4. Are they the same length? Is the lobro joint the same part#(can somebody verify w/ CAPS?)

Thanks, Ted

I don't think they are the same length. I had to custom-order one from the Driveshaft Shop.

Might want to check them out. I think they sell a lightened one for about $750.

twkd

CP

Ouch $$$. Now I see why you want it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

The driveshaft is 3 pieces, and 2 of them are the same as a DSM. So, potentially you could make a "hybrid" driveshaft, but if it were me I'd take it to a 4wd shop and have them make sure it's balanced etc.

Quote:
So I was wondering if I can just take a 1g dsm driveshaft and swap it to the vr4. Are they the same length? Is the lobro joint the same part#(can somebody verify w/ CAPS?)

Yea, they are also the same as the AWD Expo. Here is the PN MB837300 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif but it'll cost you about $183 from mitsubishiparts.com. There are a couple of people parting their VR-4s out, I look into that.

Thanks for all the info guys. KGVR4 has a 1g parts car that I can check the condition of the lobro joint in. Hopefully I can pick it up off him and rebuild my own. I purchased new carrier bearings so I think I'm gonna fill them with silicone and follow the vfaq on how to rebuild my old shaft.

750 is alittle too much, and also the driveshaft shop in my area doesn't have access to the end fittings to build me a custom peice. oh well.....thanks again

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned