The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Hooking up SAFC questions

deez

Since we are having never ending rain here in NorCal, I figure I might as well wire up my safc and try to dial it in. I have a few questions before I tackle this. One...when slicing into the necessary wires, what is the preferred method? two...I understand a logger gets the interpreted signal from the safc/ecu when you run an safc, so the logger numbers are no longer accurate. Is that correct? Three....I am not too savy with this stuff...any recommendations so I dont nuke my motor?
thanks

Jason G.

Use whatever electrical connections you want, just make sure they don't come loose.

Data Loggers connect to the diagnostic port of your ECU which is located at the left kick panel. The AFC wires up before the ECU and the logger reads the ECU. So if you make any tuning changes with the AFC that have negative effects , like high knock counts and very low timing, it will accurately display on the logger.

And as far as settings go, it depends on what mods you have done. If you're still running on stock injectors, then the best thing to do is just leave your corrections at zero.

Read up on that RRE page.

Last edited:

number3

Using a pair of wire cutters or a razor blade carefuly cut through the insulation only in the middle of the wire lead. (they recommend you do not cut the wire) Slide the insulation over just enough to expose 1/8-3/16 of an inch of copper. Take the wire you want to connect to to that wire and wrap it around the exposed copper. Solder the two together and wrap with quality electrical tape.

You're partially correct on the logger being incorrect. When reading the logger, it will show you what the ECU sees for the Maf frequency. Since the SAFC is altering the frequency the ECU sees to control fueling, the ECU gets the wrong value and thus so does the logger. Obviously by wrong value I mean the value changed by the AFC settings. Also, if the TPS sensor is messed up, or, not closing all the way, the AFC will not show this. The SAFC learns the TPS values so the minimum it shows will be 0% and the maximum as 100%. Those values will not correspond to the logger all the time. WOT should be the same but at idle, the logger should say 9% I believe and the AFC will display 0%.

As far as what method I would use, I wouldn't settle for less than soldering. You may be able to get things to work with those God-awful vampire taps but you might as well do it right the first time. Make sure you follow the instructions on the grounds because it does matter which is closer to the ECU. You'll see what I mean in the instructions.

After it is installed there are several pages that will walk you through tuning. Good luck.

-Josh

steve

Quote:
Using a pair of wire cutters or a razor blade carefuly cut through the insulation only in the middle of the wire lead. (they recommend you do not cut the wire) Slide the insulation over just enough to expose 1/8-3/16 of an inch of copper. Take the wire you want to connect to to that wire and wrap it around the exposed copper. Solder the two together and wrap with quality electrical tape.

This has been added to the How-To. Thanks Harry.

^^^ You can also use a pair of wire strippers designed to strip the wire in such a way. When you squeeze the handle, it clamps on to the wire and pulls the insulation back in the middle. A picture is shown below of a pair I'm refering to.

-Josh

steve

You just want to be in the How-To. I'll ask my wife if thats OK and get back to you.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned