The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

TEL oil cooler mount

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I saw the pics on Quasimondo's post about his oil cooler and IC. People have commented that the TEL cooler is a "bolt-on" on the GVR4. What location do you mount this? Any pics especially appreciated.

Thanks.

CP

I don't think you have much of a choice for mounting locations given the length of the stock 1990 lines. Braided lines will give you more choices.

Couple that with some nice Aeroquip lines and you'll be all set. I've got my eye on a nice cooler I saw in the Racer Parts Wholesale catelog. I don't think the stock cooler is all that great looking, and is 16 years old.

atc250r

Staff member
Ice,

See if you can find some of my posts when I put my FMIC in. I think you can see my oil cooler set up in some of them. I have a stock TEL one with #6 AN lines going to it. If I remember right one side bolted into an existing hole and the other side I made a bracket out of a piece of 1/8"x1" aluminum and bolted that to an existing hole as well. Let me know if you can't find anything and I'll see if I can locate a pic for you.

John

slugsgomoo

You don't really want to run a 90 oil cooler anyway, since you can't gauruntee nothing heinous has gone through it (motor bits) and you'll never get it clean enough to feel truly safe.

I've ordered stainless lines, fittings and an oil cooler from summit, and with shipping it's $150 (obviously you need the 90 filter housing). One of the guys on DSM IRC just put this EXACT same setup together and reported that it was easy and works great.

here are the links to all of the parts. You need two of each, except for the hose and cooler, obviously.

-8AN to 1/2" NPT $4.95 (x2)

-8AN to 16mmx1.5 $6.95 (x2)

-8AN thread to -8AN hose 90* female $13.88 (x2)

-8AN thread to -8AN straight female $5.88 (x2)

-8AN Stainless Braided Hose 6' $24.95 (x1)

B&M 8x11x1.5 Oil Cooler $59.88

Total: $148.15 + handling

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Well, good information all. Once again my brevity has reduced my clarity. I basically have everything to do the installation. I will be using pushlock fittings and hose though, in conjuction with the metric adapters for the cooler and oil filter housing, so I will not be using the hard lines. I was just wondering if there was a true "bolt-on" location for the cooler. I will likely put it where the stock IC was, as there is the most room over there.

Good advice on the cooler possibly being contaminated. Maybe I will rethink that part.

I'll search for your pics John.

slugsgomoo

I am making a few little brackets, and mounting it in the drivers side wheel well, almost like a stock DSM sidemount (though not that far back). I am considering running some ducting from my fog light opening. My fogs were both fucked, so i don't run them anyway.

CP

Slugsgomoo: Awesome...I'm going to go with those part numbers from Summit. Thanks!

I'm running a Setrab Oil Cooler on the Talon with -8AN Lines and AN Fittings, I purchased everything from www.bakerprecision.com like 2 years ago, I paid $2XX I believe. I mounted the oil cooler right up front next to my FMIC on the driver side, kind of near the stock 90 DSM Oil Cooler location with some metal brackets.
I dont see why the Oil Cooler would be contaminated, When I pulled that off the car Iceman the oil still looked good that came out of it, I would just throw some cheap oil in the top of the inlet and outlet and maybe shake it around a bit and empty it back out again before mounting it.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Good to know Keith. If it didn't come out of a car with a blown motor, the possibility of contamination is much reduced. That was certainly not a knock on the part, just a consideration. Thanks.

Polish

Old post, I know.

I ordered this exact setup linked above. I have a question about the fittings though. Is there a need to use any teflon tape on the NPT fittings going into the cooler itself or the Metric fittings going into the oil filter housing? I know the AN seal themselves but wasn't sure about the others.

CP

Teflon tape is supposed to be used as a lubricant (new news to me), not as a sealant.

Polish

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Thats news to me too...

Hmm, well anyone have any suggestions on these fittings. Or do I just assemble them dry?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I use teflon tape on NPT fittings. On the cooler housing metric fittings, I used the stock rubber insert washers that would be on the original banjo fittings for the cooler setup.

CP

I'd suggest connecting them dry, and see if they leak. Then worry about putting some kind of adhesive on the threads. I'm currently using JB Quick in my ill-fitting threads until the correct fittings arrive.

CP

Quote:
I use teflon tape on NPT fittings. On the cooler housing metric fittings, I used the stock rubber insert washers that would be on the original banjo fittings for the cooler setup.

Are two of those washers supposed to be used for each fitting, or just one? The reason I ask is b/c I was sent a pack of 4. As stated above, mine leak anyway, but I'm wondering if when I get the correct fittings I should use two washers per fitting.

Polish

Quote:

Doh! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif I had brand new ones but threw them in with the 90 lines when I sold them. I should have kept them, oh well a quick call to JNZ will get me 2 more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

1 per fitting Cy.

Last edited by a moderator:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Cy, you will not use the washers at all with NPT fittings (per our discussion the other day). they seal on the threads and the washers would have no affect. They probably send four washers because the stock banjos use one on each side of each banjo, so two per fitting. With the metric straight thread fittings, they do not seal on the threads and need the washers, but only one because you only have one sealing interface.

CP

Got it, though I'm not sure how messed up the NPT threads in the housing are now since I've tried to screw in the metric fittings. Regardless, that's another project on the list for this weekend.

The new timing belt just got here today too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Polish

I was looking at the fittings last night the surface is MUCH smaller than the stock banjo bolts. They don't take up near the sealing surface that the bolts did, which was all of it. Did you use the stock washers with the exact fittings listed above? I just want to make sure they will work, because it looks almost like the fittings would only contact the rubber part of the stock washer in which case it would probably smash it and leak.

blacksheep

If you guys can find an Evo VIII/IX stock cooler, its pretty large for being stock.

Icee - look into this option, you be the mafia /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts