The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

where do I hit? (wheel Bearing removal)

DarkDevilMMM

ok, the wheel bearing just won't come out, it just won't budge at all, I can't even use a press to get it out since I have noting to hold on to, it's flush with the knuckle, can anyone circle the place that you guys hit it out? thanks
this is the hub side, see it's flush with the knuckle

this is the axle side, the snap ring is gone, you can see the bearing outer race stuck in there

Last edited by a moderator:

s_firestone

I looked closely at the service manual and this stuck out.

I haven't done the wheel bearings so my opinion may not be of much help. Every time I call Mitsubishi and inquire about the /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif "Special" Tool, they tell me they use a standard puller.

powerplay

I am about to do this without the "SPECIAL" tool. I will be using a standard bearing puller, so I am interested in how easy it is to crush the two sides to gain some place to pull it off. I have read the FSM, but I haven't looked at the hub yet to see what is what. Keep us informed. It looks like that has to come off so you can knock the race out from that side.

DarkDevilMMM

I tried that already, I read through the service manual, chilton and anything that I can find online again and again and again, nothing work. i don't have the special tool, but I use some big washers and hammer the $h1t out of it like the pic up there, won't budge at all, I even hammer my thumb 2 times, now it's all swollen and can't even move. I even ask my neighboor and borrow the air hammer, still won't budge. was thinking to torch the sucker, but just afraid that I will mess something up. and I am pretty sure you can't crush the side to gain any space, since that's at least 1/8" thick 1 piece circular steel. I also tried PB plaster, nothing, clean it up nicely using brake cleaner, nothing, went through 2 6-pack, on my third right now, still nothing... I think I am gonna give up and take it to the machine shop tomorrow and have someone to press it out for me, that's gonna suck since I have no other car... anyone else have any idea?

I have used a torch to cut a outer race with. It was on a AWD Chrysler T&C. It didn't damaged my knuckle, but do this with caution. Brodie

DarkDevilMMM

guys, I am being a little bit smart, but just to show you how stuck that thing is, I bend the 6" c-clamp while trying to push it out, I totally give up.

HHIVR4

I had that happen to me once.After a few hours of trying to get it out myself I took it to a shop and they couldnt get it out with a press..I just gave up and bought one from a yard and it came out in a matter of minutes once I got it home..

Terry Posten

My shop had to take my hubs to another shop and use a 50 ton press. That stuff is NO FUN.

cobrajetguy

Yeah, this job sucks!! I have done it a few times and it never gets any easier. I am a mechanic and use the big press that we have at the shop, the hard part is holding it and finding things to stack it on and get it level so you can get it out without breaking anything. I couldn't even imagine trying this without a press. Take it to a shop and pay them to install the bearing or you. Good luck.

Peter

Ted Andkilde

The guys at our local bearing shop buzz a couple of 1" beads on opposite sides of stubborn races with an arc welder.

Let them cool and they usually drop right out.

Cheers, Ted

Heat the hub and then try to press out. It that doesn't get it, tape the underside of the bearing race heat the hub and put some dry ice inside the bearing and then press out. It is hard to get bearings out with a hammer because the hammering causes a wedging action. When pressing out tap on the sides of hub with hammer. Sometimes vibration will loosen the sticktion between surfaces.

If that fails sometimes you can slit the race almost to the hub with a Dremel cut off tool in three or four spots and break the bearing race out by hammering because it is hardened. Use eye protection.

Good Luck,

Ward

Last edited:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SNAP-ON-B-P-7-PIECE-SEAL-BEARING-RACE-INSTALLER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43998QQitemZ4609186224QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

with the above setup and a 3lb sledge, anything is possible. i've done bearings four or five times, and it works in a pinch.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/super-hub-shark-puller-w-bearing-remover-set-OLD-FORGE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43996QQitemZ4609665184QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

this setup above is what you want if your a true baller. screw a press, if your handy like me, you don't even take the knuckle off the car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bazeng

i just had to do mine on friday

all i did was put a big socket in the thing (so it sits on the inner part) grabbed a big hammer, and held the hub with on hand in the air, grabbed the hammer and knocked the sh*t out of it..

it eventually came out..

04DrBlur

Your C clamp bent because you were only pushing on one side of the race. It is bound up for sure. You need to push on both sides equally or it will bind. Like was said before HEAT. I cant stress enough that nothing will hold up to heat. It will pop right out with some heat and an arbor press. And with the new one in the freezer it will drop right in without even touching it.

strokin4dr

Heat should not be needed for this job, but a decent press is a must. I just did my 5 lug conversion last week and it would not have been possible with out it. Having all the right tools at my buddy's shop made all the difference. It only took about an hour to get both front hubs finished /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif. If you do not have access to a press or do not know what you are doing, save your thumbs the abuse and take it to a shop. Without a press you are just wasting your time.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts