The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Automatic Door Locks (Not working)

My Automatic door locks have never worked right since the first day I bought the car. I can put the 10amp fuse in and when I try to press the locks down they just pop right back up, so that fuse has always been removed. Anyone have this problem or know how to fix it? Is there a relay somewhere I can replace? Where is it at?
Thanks guys

atc250r

Staff member
There is a switch inside the ignition cylinder that detects when the key is in. It is probably stuck "in" which would make the ETACS think that the key is still in the igntion. If you shut the car, remove the key, and open the door, does the car make a "beep" noise from the inside at you? If so then I'm 99.9% sure that the switch I'm talking about is your problem. You could probably unplug it up in the column and then it wouldn't signal the ETACS that the key was in anymore. You could also try spraying some WD40 in the key hole a few times to see if you can free the switch up.

John

GSNT

I have a similar problem. When I shut the car off, take the key out, open the door, and try to push the lock plunger down, it pops it back up at me. My key minder doesn't work either, which is weird because the locks act as if the etacs thinks the key is still in, yet the buzzer doesn't sound. I know the buzzer piezo works because I applied power to it and it buzzes.

RayH

I believe there's also a failsafe where if after trying to lock all the doors it doesn't detect all the lock plungers have gone fully down, it will immediately unlock the doors. You probably need to lube the locking mechanism on all the doors.

You could probably narrow down the door with the problem by manually locking the doors one at a time while trying the automatic lock after each one. The one that needs lubing will be the one you manually locked just before the automatic locking works on the remaining doors. It will usually have more resistance when you try to lock it manually.

Hertz

Staff member
Quote:
I have a similar problem. When I shut the car off, take the key out, open the door, and try to push the lock plunger down, it pops it back up at me. My key minder doesn't work either, which is weird because the locks act as if the etacs thinks the key is still in, yet the buzzer doesn't sound. I know the buzzer piezo works because I applied power to it and it buzzes.

Sounds to me like the door switch doesn't work. Does your dome light come on? Take out the switch in the door jamb (remove rubber boot, one screw) and clean that thing up.

I know this has been covered before... somewhere. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

GSNT

ITS FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man it was deep. The car had water in it at some point and water got into the body harness under the driver side seat in both the rear and front floorboards. At every point in the harness where two-three wires are junctioned together, they use little brass crimp terminals. There were almost a dozen of those that were very corroded and a half dozen or so that were completely broken in half. We kept finding them one by one and slowly every single problem disappeared. I KNEW it was a problem with the cars body harness. Now every single point in that side of the car where wires are sliced together from the factory is soldered, covered in weather resistant 3M paste and taped better than new.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts