The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Strut tops

What other strut front strut tops fit a gallant vr4? Will a 3rd gen or 2nd gen strut top fit?

Quote:
What other strut front strut tops fit a gallant vr4? Will a 3rd gen or 2nd gen strut top fit?

Those cars don't really have struts given that they are multi-link or SLA suspensions. The top mounts are something completely different and use two bolts I think.

Using CAPS, the only cars that have strut mounts/insulators common with ours are the Galant 2wd and GSX models. The next generation galant went to a multi-link/double wishbone suspension as well so forget about that too.

steve

2g rear upper mount fits

The 3rd gen front is set up like the galant the reson I was asking is because its hard to find camber plates for the vr4 I know the rears are interchangeable But in asking about just front

Last edited by a moderator:

steve

^ 2G rear upper mount will raise the car a bit.

I disagree that "its hard to find camber plates for the vr4" Tein plates were easy for my dealer to order at $196/pair. Got them in less than a week. Do a search and you'll find the part number.

If you are not going with adjustable camber plates, then why not order new GVR4 strut tops from JNZ Tuning?

Quote:
other strut front strut tops

I think some of these responses have neglected this. Strut implies front (rear is not strut configuration. look at a Subaru if you want to see a McPherson rear strut.) and he explicitly stated front. Do not be mistaken, 2g front strut mounts do not lower or raise the car, they simply do not fit. Even if you went to the trouble of hacking a way to fit the mount in the position of our strut insulators, the shaft of our struts is too big to fit in that little hole (strut vs. shock) and, there is not a 2g mount made to accommodate camber adjust-ability because the static camber and camber curve of a 2g is completely independent of damper orientation.

Thanks for pointing me to the info that the 3g reverted back to a McPherson front. Probably because they wouldn't otherwise have been able to fit that silly v6 between the wheels. One more ambiguity about that scrap metal cleared up.

Last edited by a moderator:

steve

You're right, I think I ignored the first sentence because of the redundancy redundancy.

My mistake just saw the repeat I know the 2nd gen stuff wont fit just using that as an example of different cars

curtis

I've got front wheel drive turbo 1st gen GR2's with 1st gen top plates and the rear has 2nd gen top plates, Galant VR4 oem replacement struts in the rear. The car has eibach 1st gen FWD progressive rates all around. Everything was direct bolt on except the spring mounts on the rear, which were tapped off with a hammer and flipped and put back on then I welded a small piece of steel to keep the spring from popping of the seat.

What a hacked together set-up!! But it works and was free.

I wouldn't attack road atlanta with it but she rides good in town and handles great for a daily driver. Plus she looks awesome parked in the back of the parking lot. Nod your head if you park in the bottom of a parking lot just so you can admire your car when you walk out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Gvr4-330

There is something about needing to redrill some holes or something to get 1G camber plates to work??? You'll have to wait for someone who has actually done it to chime in.

I think I remember reading that the 1G stock strut tops work on the VR-4. Oh well, I picked up a set of Tein camber plates from Bimm. But when I was looking up Tein plates on ebay, the one guy said he had em for the E39A Galant.

BTW, here's the model # for the Tein Pillowmounts for the E38A/E39A:

PAR08-31PFR

curtis

They bolted right up on mine. The difference is that the height is shorter on the 1st gens.

There are 3 bolts on the top of the front strut, DSM have them turned about 90 degees from a GVR4. Sure, you could drill out another hole in a DSM strut mount or you can but buy the correct part fot GVR4s

strokin4dr

i didnt see the cusco ones at horsepower freaks

Same Here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts