The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Skid Plate Info

If you guys want to make a skid plate for your vr4 here is some specks my buddy sent me from japan.I tried to post it in the tech area but for somereason tech section wont open for me.

14u2nV

fROM the looks of it, you'll have to remove it to do just about anything to the underside of the car. Also, what are those dims? Looks like half are in Japanese?

Last edited:

JB

looks good to me. how thick is it? that looks thin.

That is the skid plate that I have and made copies of 2 years ago. Only takes about 2 minutes to remove. 4 bolts across the front and 2 bolts w/spacers out back

Looks exactly like the one I had on my Laser.

That makes me wonder if it would fit on the Galant! I'll have to try that!

I can weigh it when I get home but I'm going to guess about 20-25 lbs not including the mount. The gas tank shield goes about 10-15 and the diff shield is about 5

JNR

...or 22.7 lbs. & .78" thick (must be aluminum!), to us Standard users /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The weight is about right but its not anywhere near 3/4 inch thick. How about aprox 5mm- 3/16"

Larry Parker

mine is 3/16 and is about 35lbs with the mounts

lp

well from my translation of what he said sheetmetal...some of their words are hard to translate to english.......basiclly what he said he did was took a big piece of cardboard and place it under the car on a lift...made all the holes..creased it where he needed to...trimmed it and made all the holes ...layed it on the sheet metal and made a stencil and made his cuts with the plasma cutter...pretty simple he said hardest part was the cardboard...he rivited extra metal around the main supports and to bend it he layed it over the curb at the spot he wanted to bend and took a heavy hammer and tapped it across till he got the angle he needed ....he also said its not hard to take off a few bolts and thats it...

14u2nV

a 40" x 40" x 1/8" piece of alum will way approx 20lbs, 1/4" will weigh approx double. One of these days, I'm still gonna make one out of UHMW. Ought to be lighter still

Quote:
to bend it he layed it over the curb at the spot he wanted to bend and took a heavy hammer and tapped it across till he got the angle he needed

I prefer my friends technique.

-Find an Econoline or any other and park it on the allignment lift
-lift it a little
-put a piece of H beam on the garage floor
-place the cut skid plate on the H beam so it get bent at the proper place
-Make sure the lift is pushing on both side of the skid plate
-bring down the lift while heating the skid plate where you want it to bend.

Please, don't try this at home! My friend is really crazy! LOL I was standing way back while he was doing that.

Quote:
One of these days, I'm still gonna make one out of UHMW. Ought to be lighter still

Whats "UHMW" ?

G

Staff member
Quote:
fROM the looks of it, you'll have to remove it to do just about anything to the underside of the car. Also, what are those dims? Looks like half are in Japanese?

uh, MM's ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

G

Staff member
don't see any.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts