The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rear Brakes Probs / Compressing Piston

Yesterday I was trying to install new pads and rotters and low and behold...I can't get the back piston to compress. Has anybody else done a brake job and run into this problem?!?!?

Jamie /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

JB

they turn in. are you trying to just push them in?

steve

Turn them clockwise in. There are a few special tools, or you can try to use needle nose pliers.

OK...I'll try that! We tried compressing it yesterday, turning it, jumping around in circles and praying to the car gods...what a pain in my rear! haha I'll take it off again tonight when I get off of work and try turning it. Where can you get this tool to turn it to make it easier?

I tried all of the above. Compressing it, turning it, etc. I'll try turning it clockwise tonight when I get off of work!

steve

This: autozone

or this:

Some say if they don't turn with pliers, they should be replaced/rebuilt anyway.

We turned them a few times both ways cause I didn't know that they turned in instead of compressed down. I just didn't turn them clockwise for much more than a few turns. I'll take another stab at it tonight and it it doesn't work I'll either grab one of these tools and try that or just replace it!

Thank you so much for all your help! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

~jamie

CP

Get the kit in the "autoxone" link above. That square thing is junk.

stevep

I have a round one that I've used for years. The cube is too big and won't turn inside the caliper.

RearPistonInst19.jpg

Steve

Quote:
We turned them a few times both ways cause I didn't know that they turned in instead of compressed down. I just didn't turn them clockwise for much more than a few turns. I'll take another stab at it tonight and it it doesn't work I'll either grab one of these tools and try that or just replace it!

Thank you so much for all your help! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

~jamie

Jamie if you need help, hit me up, I'll come over and help/assist you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
and if you need another Caliper, I can help you out with that too.
Later

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts