The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

92-94 Auto DSM's have a 4bolt?

just out of curiousity, do 92-94 awd auto dsm's come with 4bolts? theres an auto 93 tsi in the junkyard in my town and the car is on its frame so its hard to tell. as far as i remember they all do, but i could be wrong.

thanks

-Dave

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Yes, different ratio. Some have said before that not all Talons may have LSD.

Last edited:

do you know if it still can be used? my cousins looking for a 4bolt and the yard only wants $50 for everything

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
You will have to change the rear ring and pinion to the correct ratio. If he's getting it that cheap, it may be worth it to have it done by a professional shop.
You should be able to use the original r & p if they are not shot.

spooling92vr4

if the car has abs then its really unlikely for the car to have a lsd rear end. i have actually heard of a few people running the auto four bolt in their five speed cars, i know its wrong but these people didnt know any better and nothings blown up YET.

CO VR4

The automatic has a different rear end ratio. It WILL destroy the rear end itself if you use it as is. I sold two rear end center sections to the same guy in two weeks when his JDM tranny had the wrong final drive and his front wheels were turning differently than the stock rear end ratio. Same end result here.

You will have to swap in the stock three bolt ring and pinion (which can be done by any tranny shop) and reshim it to spec. If that's too much work or cost for you, you should still get the 4-bolt axles and cups (the outside axle attachment to the spindle, sometimes requires a gear puller to remove), because 4-bolt axles are not available on the aftermarket, and there's a market for them separately from the complete unit.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quote:
if the car has abs then its really unlikely for the car to have a lsd rear end.

That only applies to '91 MY when you could not have both.

Quote:
i have actually heard of a few people running the auto four bolt in their five speed cars, i know its wrong but these people didnt know any better and nothings blown up YET.

Bull. Nice MISinformation and hearsay. Read the post below your original.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quote:
I read all tsi talons have the lsd (92-94). The eclipses got the lsd as an option.

According to CAPS, all 1g Eclipse 92 and later (4 bolt) have LSD carrier. Blackhole has said not all Talons do. Can't personally verify or disprove that.

Another option is to remove the LSD diff and axles from the 4-bolt, install your 3-bolt ring gear on the LSD, and install the LSD diff into your 3-bolt housing, along with the 4-bolt axles and cups. Thats what I did to #1886, and it worked perfectly. If this is in a GVR-4, you can also remove the 4WS drive gear from your old diff, and install it onto the new LSD diff.

the car the 4bolt is from is a eclipse, not a talon. im most likely picking it up this weekend. thanks for all the info guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Quote:
Another option is to remove the LSD diff and axles from the 4-bolt, install your 3-bolt ring gear on the LSD, and install the LSD diff into your 3-bolt housing, along with the 4-bolt axles and cups. Thats what I did to #1886, and it worked perfectly. If this is in a GVR-4, you can also remove the 4WS drive gear from your old diff, and install it onto the new LSD diff.

Jeff, did you end up just following the FSM to do this? Did you use machinist's blue and everything?

I need to do this to both of my cars, so I want some info from someone who has done it...

twkd

No, Tom and I just used the original shims, and it slid right in, nice and snug.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts