The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Scared to put in cams...

Status
Not open for further replies.

So I bought cams but now I'm poor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I was going to save some money on the side to have them put in but now its gone and i still want them in. Im new to 4g's and from what i know and searched about is they are interference motors and arent the easiest car to throw cams in.

Is there an install thread with a walk through perhaps. (I searched the hell out of here for 30 minutes)

I've done cams on a rwd sr20det but this seems more challenging, or maybe its not.

Thanks from a galant noob.

What cams are they? Some are easier to install than others, as some need degreed.

Perfect. Thanks man. I'll post in this thread if i have problems doing it to. I'll be crying as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hey man call me if you need any help with your cams, I have installed them many times withour taking the belt off with good luck.

Hit me up if you need any advise.
Matt Junker
--909-229-7701

Hopefully next weekend we're gonna do it. I just dont wanna snap some valves off. When we start on it I'll give you a call.

Thanks.

Jay

good luck man, if you do everything right and take it slow you will have no problems,

Doimg the cams now. We dont have a cam tesnsioner tool but we're going to try and make do. Any suggestions?

Actually we are going to do the vice grip/allen wrench method instead of using a cam tensioner tool. No dealer has it around here.

atc250r

Staff member
You're better off taking the front covers off and removign the tensioner if you don't have the tool. While you're in there replace the T-belt and remove the balance shafts as well before they remove you from driving your car since you'll be rebuilding the motor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

John

Ok cams are in and the car runs great. Special thanks to Mr. Junker on here for the advice.

no problem man, glad it wokred out for, feel free to hit me up if you need anything else.

CP

My Brian Crower 272s are on the way, and I've already got the HKS adjustable cam gears. Any other tips for cam installation? I'll be attempting to follow the RRE instructions.

I'm worried about this portion of the process since I'll be replacing the cam gears: "Use some plastic zip ties to tie the timing belt to the cam gears. Use at least two ties on each gear." Suggestions? I've got the tensioner tool (long threaded rod that can be turned with a socket), valve cover gasket, and spark plug gaskets.

Are there TWO cam seals (part number is MD133317)?

I'm pretty sure that you won't be able to use the rre method if you are also adding cam gears at the same time. I would just go ahead and treat it like a timing belt job.

For further reference you can just use the alt tensioner bolt instead of the mitsu tool for the timing belt tensioner.

Holy sh!t this thread is so old! That is bizarre! I was like " I know how to put in cams I did it 2 years ago. Oh this thread is from 05. Makes sense now"

Yeah use the bungee cords hanging from the hood to keep the timing belt in place method. That was the biggest thing. Whole bit took 3 hours.

jepherz

Staff member
Quote:
My Brian Crower 272s are on the way, and I've already got the HKS adjustable cam gears. Any other tips for cam installation? I'll be attempting to follow the RRE instructions.

I'm worried about this portion of the process since I'll be replacing the cam gears: "Use some plastic zip ties to tie the timing belt to the cam gears. Use at least two ties on each gear." Suggestions? I've got the tensioner tool (long threaded rod that can be turned with a socket), valve cover gasket, and spark plug gaskets.

Are there TWO cam seals (part number is MD133317)?

I don't think that even if you were trying to swap the cam gears over using the RRE method, you can even get the cam gear off. It is usually pinched in between the head and timing belt cover if I remember correctly. Just do a timing belt job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts