The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Fuel Pump..

I'm gonna buy a new fp for my car.If i bought a walbro 255/lph fuel pump,what kind of mods will i hav to do to fit it?Or will it just bold to my stock brackets and everything.Thanks alot

markrieb

Install the pump per the VFAQ for "mustang walbro pump in a DSM" This will save you a lot of headaches about the O-ring leaking and if you use the insulation wrap around the pump it is pretty quiet.

With that big pump you will also likely need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Get a good one like Aeromotive or Paxton, don't bother with the B&M.

Mark Rieb

Hey,how are the walbro 190/lph?are those loud?Are there any fuel pumps that bolt right up to the stock configuration?Thanks

quote:Originally posted by scooter:
a supra pump will fit right in. the 255 fits with just some minor mods. Or a 3si VR4 pump ..

4orced4door

I don't know about everyone else, buy my Wally 255 fit in just fine. I used the piece of fuel hose and clamps to connect it instead of the little o-ring deal and worked really easy. Now the sending unit itself was a whole other story thanks to rust.

Buy your pump from www.autoperformanceengineering.com . Buy the GVR4 pump, obviously.

And anybody that claims their fuel pump is too loud is a big puss and shouldn't be driving a performance car. Yeah sure, it's okay to have a loud ass turbo and exhaust that drones through everything, but that little fuel pump whine that can easily be covered up by the radio or ignored is just terrible!
rolleyes.gif

quote:Originally posted by 4orced4door:

And anybody that claims their fuel pump is too loud is a big puss and shouldn't be driving a performance car. Yeah sure, it's okay to have a loud ass turbo and exhaust that drones through everything, but that little fuel pump whine that can easily be covered up by the radio or ignored is just terrible!
rolleyes.gif
Agreed.

Hertz

Staff member
I'm curious to know if anyone can debunk this, but I heard it hypothesized that the whining is worse when the pump is not rewired (pump starving for voltage/not up to speed).

Has anyone installed a bigger pump before rewiring and noticed any difference in sound level?

04DrBlur

My 255 is not rewired and if I have a full tank of gas I have to pop my trunk lid and really try and hear it running. When tank is empty I can hear it when I am standing at the rear of my car, but I have never yet heard that thing while sitting in my car. I even rode in the back seat for the first time a few weeks ago and no noise.

What kind of fuel pump dropped right in?What year?I have a 1987 supra im parting out,will that bolt right on up on our cars?thanks

Robby Cheaib

quote:Originally posted by 04DrBlur:
My 255 is not rewired and if I have a full tank of gas I have to pop my trunk lid and really try and hear it running. When tank is empty I can hear it when I am standing at the rear of my car, but I have never yet heard that thing while sitting in my car. I even rode in the back seat for the first time a few weeks ago and no noise. I can only hear mine standing at the rear of my car or when I pop my trunk. The amount gas or when It wasn't rewired didnt play a factor in the noise level. I have a rewired 3si VR4 pump in mine. That sh*t ain't loud! Get an external wastegate and start complaining!

4orced4door

quote:Originally posted by Vr4in':
What kind of fuel pump dropped right in?What year?I have a 1987 supra im parting out,will that bolt right on up on our cars?thanks

Robby Cheaib
quote:Originally posted by 4orced4door:
I don't know about everyone else, but my Wally 255 fit in just fine. I used the piece of fuel hose and clamps to connect it instead of the little o-ring deal and worked really easy. Now the sending unit itself was a whole other story thanks to rust.

Buy your pump from www.autoperformanceengineering.com . Buy the GVR4 pump, obviously.

My 255 is semi loud. but then again I dont have any carpet in my truck and all the sound deadning has been scraped up. I dont have have the rubber cusion either. Its a performance car quite your whinning and buy a civic.

ken inn

that 3si pump is NOT a direct fit. i had to bend the bracket, and use a hose clamp. i have a spare and another stock pump, if anyone wants pics.

quote:Originally posted by ken inn:
that 3si pump is NOT a direct fit. i had to bend the bracket, and use a hose clamp. i have a spare and another stock pump, if anyone wants pics. Almost every mod requires a little 'custom fitment'. Hehe. I completely forgot that I had to bend the bracket and then some to make it fit, thats how often that stuff happens!
grin.gif

My Supra fuel pump definitely makes some noise. Its uninsulated and unrewired.

Some noises add to the car. I gotta admit that I kind of like transmission gear whine. My buddy ran his 944T out of oil once and it has this great racecar-ish gear whine now...
wink.gif

Maybe I'll have to get those TRE straight cut gears.

Mark

I installed a 255 a month or 2 ago and it was cake. Its no big deal to install it. The only things you would have to do are to bend the bracket down so that it is straight and use a hose clamp to secure the pump to the bracket. The 255 is just a bit longer than our stock ones. I dont understand where people are putting this peice of fuel hose as that would only complicate things. It took me all of 30minutes to do it and get it running again.

My 255 is loud as f***, but I just ignore it. People are always asking me what that noise is and I just act like I dont know what they're talking about. btw, my 255 is not rewired but my friends is and his is almost silent.

All you guys runnin this 255 pump, did you need a Ajustable FPR? or just the stocker?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts