The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

replacement for stock BOV?

Terry Posten

I want to replace my stock BOV with a unit that will fit without any mods to the stock piping. I haven't decided if I want to run open or closed, so I want a unit that I can do both with and play with it. I am running 21 psi and my stocker is whistling at full boost.

I am running a boost gauge from the "P" port and it is rock solid at 21 psi all the way to 6800 rpm.

I just want to make sure that all my "metered" air is going to the intake and not running around in circles. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What do you guys and gals think?

Thanks in advance.

464/2K

have you crushed you bov? ive seen some hold up to 27psi.

also what kinda noise are you looking for? loud or not so loud?

Last edited:

Terry Posten

I don't want to crush mine so I can go back if I need to.

I want to see how loud it is and maybe switch back and forth every now and then.

Don't start calling me a "ricer" now. I just want to scare some people every now and then. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Terry Posten

Now I know where to buy, just would like some suggestions on which one will be the easiest (no modding piping) and will work best for 21psi.

atc250r

Staff member
I haven't used it but the Greddy Type S has the same size vent tube as the stocker and it fits on the stock flange but you have to drill 2 new holes for it.

John

G

Staff member
hks ssq.

atc250r

Staff member
I don't think you can recirc that one. Or does HKS make a kit for it?

John

Terry Posten

I am leaning towards the HKS w/ 1G flange adapter and the recurc piece. Does anyone have a pic of the HKS SSQ with recirc already hooked up?

Just trying to get something better that a mental pic.

Thanks for all of the ideas and suggestions so far. Keep them coming.

you can come across stock BOV's for really cheap, just get one of them and crush it, i know a guy with a non mitsu car and a 14b turb opackage with our BOV's crushed/atmostpheric, and it doesnt sound bad, maybe for our cars it does, i dont know.

JB

you can vent to atomosphere with just that hks eids and a hks ssq? No drawbacks?

You can prevent the leaking by tapping and plugging the bottom port on the stock BOV:

And drilling a hole or two in the chamber that runs up to the diaphragm:

Now, boost won't be introduced to the bottom side of the diaphragm thus causing it to crack open at higher levels. The BOV won't be as quick responding, but this is how almost all aftermarket BOVs are set up. I like it simply because it's cheap and it allows me to retain the stock BOV even at high boost levels.

G

Staff member
Quote:
you can vent to atomosphere with just that hks eids and a hks ssq? No drawbacks?

yes.

JB

Thanks for reply Mr Unit...

Quote:
Quote:

yes.

I'd have to disagree here.. the maf counts the air that is expelled when the bov opens. When you shift, you experience a rich condition.. i have tried this at the track, and ran a best of a 14.6. I recirced it and managed a 14.2 on my very next pass.

Then i was running 13.7's on pump gas and decided to try it out again... back to a 14.5.

Yes there are drawbacks to running "vented".

G

Staff member
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

yes.

I'd have to disagree here.. the maf counts the air that is expelled when the bov opens. When you shift, you experience a rich condition.. i have tried this at the track, and ran a best of a 14.6. I recirced it and managed a 14.2 on my very next pass.

Then i was running 13.7's on pump gas and decided to try it out again... back to a 14.5.

Yes there are drawbacks to running "vented".

with hks eids, you don't have a "rich condition"

I've heard that having it vent back into the system as opposed to the atmosphere helps keep the turbo spooling. Anyone else know about this?

it does help with spool because it gives a rush of air just before the intake so it doesnt try to slow down so fast. i have been using hks with the resurc adapter for a while now on my 20v 1.8t jetta. it is still pretty loud especially with my cai. get an intake pipe with any resurc bov and it will make it louder, the air hitting the metal sounds wicked.

The 1st gen mitsu bov outperforms almost all the aftermarket models with a very fast onset and very little flutter. The only downside is its inability to hold as much boost. Crushing is the right answer for this problem. And I would not vent to the atmosphere with a normal MAF setup for the reasons stated above, except when I wanted to show off a little.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts