The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Output shaft that goes from AWD transmission to transfer case

BLUELIGHTSBABY

Ok guys, I have a question about the output shaft that comes out the bottom of the transmission and goes into the transfer case.
Is this shaft suppose to just pull out? So what I'm saying, when you drop the transfer case, can you just grab the output shaft and pull it out the transmission??
I can, and I was concerned it was supposed to have a clip or some lock that goes on the other end that goes inside the transmission.
I have an automatic AWD trans in my galant VR4, but I don't recall if the shaft pulled out freely from the manual transmission or not.

Thanks for any knowledge you can share.

CutlassJim

I've never worked on an auto but on a manual trans it is not supposed to. There is a ball bearing that gets captured by the center diff viscous coupler that usually makes it so you can't just pull the output shaft out.

gvr4ever

2nd, it doesn't come out on the manual. Can't say for sure on the auto, but it doesn't sound right that it does on yours.

thomcasey

Yea, the check-ball must have fallen out. Hopefully it is in the tranny fluid pan.

BLUELIGHTSBABY

Thanks Guys. Trans has been running fine, it's currently out of the car, and Ill be dropping the pan this week and Ill report what I find.

brisvr4

The auto trans output shaft normally has a clip on the end the same as the passenger side axle on a manual car. Mine is long gone and I don’t have any issues!

CutlassJim

That's cause in Australia toilets flush the opposite way and that's keeping the output shaft in place on yours. Up here in the northern hemisphere we super need the clip to keep the shaft from exiting stage left(right?).

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts