The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Aftermarket fan won’t turn on

yonwd

I think I need help...
Ok, first of all I’m really bad at electrical stuff so what I did I tried to copy from a thread on here. Probably messed it up since my fan won’t turn on.
I recently bought a used aftermarket radiator and fan from someone who said that the fan works. After wiring it up I ran the vr4 and it would warm up to somewhere close to but not quite halfway on the temp gauge. The fan never turned on. Can you guys take a look at these pics and let me know what I did wrong? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jesh

Any chance you could post a picture with both side of the connector visible so we can see all the wire colors. Trying to figure out how you wired it up.

mk2davis

Did you test the fan? If not, you may want to disconnect wires from the car and test with the fan still mounted. Nothing worse than trying to troubleshoot wiring if the fan is not working.

If it were me, I'd also let the temp gauge go a little higher. I don't think my fan kicks on until the needle is straight up. I'd wait until it's 2/3 the way up.

yonwd

I didn’t test the fan. I trusted the dude. I can test it tomorrow.
I tried taking some pics of the connections but they still ended up looking a bit confusing to people who would look at them so I ended up drawing it out. Hope this makes it clear.

EMX5636

Before you get too far ahead of yourself, you might not have had it hot enough to need the fan. Just below halfway on the gauge is just under normal operating temp, and the thermostat was probably just opening. If you press the AC switch twice (IIRC once is Eco, second is Max) it should turn the fan on with the engine running if you still have the sensors hooked up for AC. It's been a while since I've checked mine, but I'll look at it this morning and double check it works. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

yonwd

Yeah, that is a possibility. Thanks.
The previous owner removed all the a/c stuff so that wouldn't work for me.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Do the Galants have a radiator fan switch mounted down low?

Also to the OP, what termpature/thermostat are you using because as stated the motor might not be getting hot enough to normally trigger the fan at like 206 or whatever temp it is spec'd in the FSM (factory service manuals).

transparentdsm

Put the car in the on position, remove the plug connector at the bottom of the radiator, get a jumper wire, jump the two pins in the plug connector.

Did the fan turn on? If yes then that sensor is junk

If not then the fan is garbage and needs to be replaced or the wiring harness he made is sh*t and you need to build your own harness out of the OEM harness on the stock fan that you removed.

transparentdsm

Quoting yonwd:

So after further examination, you see the black and green wires that are taped up..... Those are supposed to be attached to the sensor at the bottom of your rad to tell the fans when to turn on.

Homie build and sold a sh*t harness. At this point if I was you I would question where the fan was bought from. Unless it says spal or mishimoto very clear and visable I'd assume it's cheap eBay sh*t and won't flow enough air to keep temps in line on 90+ degree days.

Last edited:

yonwd

the radiator is very similar to a afco one and it doesn't have any sensor bungs. that's why those wires are cut off...
it looks to be a cheap ebay fan. at this point it doesn't overheat when driven around and my other car needs attention right now so i'll have to put this on hold for a bit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
thanks for you help guys. if i find the fix i'll post it up in case anyone else has a aftermarket wired/hacked fan.

transparentdsm

well if those two wires arent connected to s switch sensor the fans wont turn on. you need to get a bung welded into the bottom of the rad that will except the oem fan switch and then wire it in. there is no other fix or option really.

Eztoril

There is an option if your radiator doesnt have a bung for a fan switch.

mishimoto water temp sensor

One other thing, my vr4 takes a solid 10 minutes to warm up before the fans will ever kick on. If possible I would see if you can purchase the stock fan wiring/harness from someone and wire it back like stock. That would be the best way to fix it. And get a SPAL fan.

I forgot to add that the radiatorfan switch is just a path to ground. So if you decide to use that mishimoto style inline switch option, that thing will need to be grounded with a wire.

Last edited:

Eztoril

There is a thread about radiator fan wiring already

Radiator fan wiring

There is a radiator fan wiring diagram in that thread, definitely check it out. It will show you how the fan is wired up and the circuit. Any further questions should be asked there so we can keep all the radiator cooling fan questions and resolutions there. I highly recommend studying that diagram and get familiar with it if you plan on resolving your issues. I used that same diagram to work out my cooling fan problems.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts