The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Front Lower Control Arms

91vr4auto

Hi, does anyone know if there are any differences between the FLCAs for LHD and RHD cars? Need to replace my balljoints, and looking at RockAuto's site it has complete FLCAs starting at $61 each, with new balljoints, and I guess, new bushings. Also, the site lists Mevotech arms for $61 and ACDelco for $144, any real difference between the two? Thanks, Mike.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
There should be no difference for these vehicles RHD v. LHD.

I can't speak to the relative quality for the price difference. I will say that I put a Dorman part on my car a few years back (probably longer ago than I think...), and the ball joint boot basically has rotted away on it. Very disappointing, buy maybe I should not be surprised.

I will also add that I have not used a Mevotech control arm, but I have purchased their tie rod ends and sway bar links. They seem decent quality and their boots sometimes are made of a different appearing rubber, maybe silicone.

ercp98

Hi, i have used the mevotech lower control arm from rock auto.
I can not remember if i had to order left or right specifically, but i replaced both. It has seen 6 years of chicago weather. I only noticed this past summer the passenger side lower control arm has a slight movement. The control arm bushing are on its way out not the tie rod. So i was able to get 6 years out of them. Hope that helps.

tektic

there is a post some where showing one of the replacements with very poor construction. I don't remember which, but its worth a search before you order junk we have been warned about.

christo

I used some Mevotech ball joints and tie rod ends before on my wifes old Honda Accord. I ended up having to replace one of the ball joints a year later due to the ball rusting out FWIW. I might have just got a bad one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Ended up selling the car not too long after that so I am not sure how the others held up.

tektic

I've gone through Mevotech ball joints and tierods in less than 2 years too on my Subaru. How much should you expect from 12-15$ parts though.

pagosadsm

I used a Mevotech control arm. Modd it to fit a Chrysler upper ball joint. part # Speedway 910-34323
Installed a steel ball sleeve #106-20041
welded a 1/2 threaded block to attach the sway bar to the control arm
Machined a steel bushing for the rear bushing
You can see photos on Tunners
Rick

fuel

Quoting 91vr4auto:
Hi, does anyone know if there are any differences between the FLCAs for LHD and RHD cars? Need to replace my balljoints, and looking at RockAuto's site it has complete FLCAs starting at $61 each, with new balljoints, and I guess, new bushings. Also, the site lists Mevotech arms for $61 and ACDelco for $144, any real difference between the two? Thanks, Mike.

If you just need ball joints why would you not just replace them on their own? You can get decent joints from BnT, Auto1, Repco, Supercheap etc for much less than a complete LCA - and you don't have to wait for them to come in from overseas and be subject to GST etc. The joints will need to be pressed out and pressed back in, but any competent mechanic with a press can do that in 5 min.

And for the US guys, NZ cars don't tend to get chronic rust issues so the OEM LCA's are probably still perfectly fine. I would prefer keeping an older used OEM LCA in instead of a cheap new aftermarket unit - have seen too many of them manufactured so poorly and they just aren't built to last. Stay away from Dorman products.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts