The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Random shutdowns

kdott96

I keep getting random shutdowns with 733. It happens sometimes when in idle, sometimes when driving.. it's very random. When driving, I can feel the car slowing down and no matter how much gas I press, the speed drops on its own until it turns off (or if I put neutral and drop the clutch it goes straight to 0). It starts back up right away, but I want to get to the bottom of this.
This began happening after I switched to an Odyssey battery and was missing my lower intercooler pipe, but ever since then, I replaced that battery with a bigger one I previously had and found the ETS lower intercooler pipe. I would begin to see the battery/brake lights dim on from time to time so I knew my alternator was acting up and got one from Motorcity Reman had it installed Saturday so no more lights on the dash.. but the problem persists. I have also replaced the coolant temp sensor for a new OEM one but still no luck, Is there anything I can check next? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

gvr4ever

That's a tricky one....

I'd check and make sure the battery ground is clean where it connects. Near the stock air box location. I think the ECU has a ground too. One of the bolts that hold it in.

Check ECU....

It sounds like a connection issue, but with the age of these cars.... They can cause mysteries.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I had a TPS issue that would cause stalls, but never while driving. I would check for boost/air leaks in your intake system. Could be an air metering issue.

MellowVR4

Take the ECU out, open it up and take a peek.

transparentdsm

im gonna have to third the idea of pull the ecu, sounds to me like you have a dead ISC motor and it burnt out your 102 or 105 diode, i forget what one it is.

thomcasey

Make that a 4th. My ISC motor leaked into it's plug and took out the diode and the controller on the ECU. ECM Tuning fixed it right up

kdott96

Actually... Looking very closely at IC105 there is a vague orange part on the back I’ll hit up ecmlink tonight

gvr4ever

Here is an example of a failed one.

click

Your's doesn't look like that. Did you have a idle surge problem at all?

kdott96

No but idle ran high on cold startup no matter what
ECMtuning got back to me, could be just a failing MAP sensor

kdott96

Dave from ECMLink said that my datalog suggested a failing map sensor reading.... and that was literally what it was. Changed the MAP sensor and car is running back again. Thanks for everybody that chipped in.

thomcasey

What MAP sensor are you using?

thomcasey

Yea, they are pretty much crap. There is lots of info out there about them being problematic. Ine dies out of the blue, so I went with AEM

kdott96

Yes I’ve heard it too, just gave it another chance bc I feel like it was my fault that it broke (probably when said pipe was not on the car)

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts