The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

"New old stock" timing tensioner

I have an OEM timing tensioner that has been in it's package, packed away in a plastic tote with other parts since I bought it new in 2005. It's never been installed, pin is still in place, looks pristine. Can anyone think of a real reason to not use it? I don't see how it could have degraded at all, given that it's never been used, hasn't been subjected to any heat cycles, etc. but maybe there's something I've overlooked? I don't want to be cheap, but the $100+ a new one costs could be better used elsewhere and I don't want to throw out unused OEM parts without a good reason.

gvr4ever

If it looks brand new with no surface rust, I'd personally use it. How long do you think Mitsubishi parts sit on shelves before they get shipped out? You could buy one today and it could be as old and you'd never know it.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. They're made to last tens of thousands of miles in service, under tension, heat, rusting, etc. Wrapped up and packed away for years is nothing compared to that.

gvr4ever

In general, new old stock are usually desired no matter what the vintage year.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts