The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

'13+ outlander rear rotors

belize1334

So I'm finishing my last few months in the UK and already thinking about ways to sink money into my VR4 when I move back in the fall. I've been tempted by the outlander front brake upgrade for a while but I don't want to increase forward bias since the rear brakes on these cars are already under recruited. I was digging about on RockAuto looking at caliper pistons thinking maybe I could resleave either the front or rear rotors to fix the bias and I came across these rotors from the 2013+ Outlander Sport. That model year switched to using an integrated parking brake similar to ours so the rotor doesn't have the usual drum for hub-style parking brakes.

The specs on these (and comparison to the GVR4 rotors) are:
'13+ outlander sport rear rotors: 302mm (11.88in), integrated ebrake, 10mm (0.394in) thickness, 36.22mm (1.425) height
'91 galant vr4 stock rear rotors: 265mm (10.43in), integrated ebrake, 10mm (0.394in) thickness, 49mm (1.94in) height

So, here's my thought: The rotors are bolt-on for 5-lug or a quick redrill for 4-lug (center bore is still 67.1mm so they're already hubcentric). A simple bracket made from 1/2" steel would place the GVR4 caliper almost exactly 12.8mm outboard, which is the difference between the height of the two rotors. The bracket could be designed to move the rotor radially outward by 20mm (19 for difference in radius of the two rotors + 1mm safetey), which should be enough to avoid bolt-head interference for 14mm (m12) mounting hardware. Clearance with wheels would need to be tested but in principle it's no worse and probably a lot better than other brake upgrades. Benefit would be an over-all increase in rear torque of about 15%, enough to offset forward bias from upgrading to '05 outlander fronts (which give you about 5% increase from rotor diameter and another 8% increased clamping force if you use the newer calipers, which have 43mm pistons instead of our 41.3mm). And as an added benefit, it would easily convert back to stock (winter wheels?) by just removing the bracket and reinstalling the OEM rotors, just like for the Outlander front brake upgrade.

So, I'm gonna give it a try in the fall, but I thought I'd post up the info here for posterity and see if anybody wants to buy some 2013+ Outlander Sport rotors and do a test fit(?).

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Intriguing idea. I actually have a pair of these rear calipers I acquired to experiment with on another vehicle. Never thought about the rotors though. I believe the calipers I have are from a 14MY. IIRC they may have changed slightly from 13--> 14MY.

I also collected the parts for the front Outlander brake upgrade, but I plan to use it on my 2g Spyder. I stumbled across an '05 Outlander by accident one day in the junkyard, and couldn't believe my luck (as you can't even find the aftermarket brackets on-line anymore).

belize1334

Quoting iceman69510:

Intriguing idea. I actually have a pair of these rear calipers I acquired to experiment with on another vehicle. Never thought about the rotors though. I believe the calipers I have are from a 14MY. IIRC they may have changed slightly from 13--> 14MY.

Yeah I was really excited when I saw the calipers but they're 41mm pistons so they would be far too rear biased, and you'd still need a bracket bc the outlander bracket doesn't look like it would mate with the VR4 rear trailing arm. But if the VR4 caliper works in conjunction with the outlander rotor and all you need is a simple steel adapter I'd call that a win.

Quoting iceman69510:

I also collected the parts for the front Outlander brake upgrade, but I plan to use it on my 2g Spyder. I stumbled across an '05 Outlander by accident one day in the junkyard, and couldn't believe my luck (as you can't even find the aftermarket brackets on-line anymore).

I think RTM and JNZ both sell Outlander front brackets, but from my research the cheapest option is to just buy the full front caliper assembly with brackets included. The only problem, which I'll mention again since I haven't heard anyone else talk about it, is that the 2G/Outlander front calipers have larger pistons (43mm vs 41.3mm) so, again, you get more forward bias...

Quoting tectic:
Well thought out. Sounds promising.

Thanks. We'll see if it works out in real life...

Last edited:

GotInsulin

Quoting iceman69510:

JNZ still has the brackets last I checked:
click

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts