The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Crank but no start

TheCookie

Hey guys, I want to start by saying this is the first time I’ve ever posted to a forum and just want to get some educated opinions as to what the issue could be with a car I am seriously contemplating buying. So I’ve got an excellent deal lined up on 92 vr4. BUT, he issue with the car is that it is cranking but will not start. The owner supposedly recently redid the engine (I’ll include a list of everything done below). He said it ran for a short period of time and then sputtered and died and has not started since. This being said, it’s getting both fuel and spark and is in time. With both of those I’m not sure why it wouldn’t be starting. He also told me it has compression. I’m pretty confused at this point as to what the issue could be unless the engine is junk and he is hiding it to try and move the car faster. Any opinions as to what could be going on are greatly appreciated. Also, assuming I get the car and get it started, if the trans is bad or grinds what other transmissions would be able to bolt right up and be good to go? Just don’t want to think I’m getting a good deal and then shaft myself because I wasn’t educated. Thanks in advance.

ACL bearings
New OEM pistons
3G lifters
ARP head studs
New valve seals
Rebuilt 14b stock turbo
Aluminum intercooler piping
Front mount intercooler
New exedy clutch and master cylinder
New OEM slave
Braided SS clutch line
Fidanza 11lb lightweight flywheel
Hawk performance streets pads
Slotted rotors
Braided SS brake lines
Walbro 190 pump
Battery relocated to the trunk
Custom exhaust
Volkswagon Scirocco radiator for more room under the hood
2 switched electric fans

thomcasey

Verify the compression yourself if you can. And check the spark and plug wiring. As for Transmissions, an AWD manual from a 90-94 DSM (as long as it matches the transfer case splines) will bolt up.

TheCookie

Thanks for the prompt response. I’m going to verify the compression, and spark both. Assuming everything is good and I can’t find an obvious issue do you have any other idea what the issue could be? I’m driving three hours one way to see the car and don’t want to go out there clueless and not really know what to do or what could be causing the issue.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
There could be a lot of electrical reasons why it may not start, but if it truly has spark, fuel and compression, it should go.

Typical failures for these cars are the fuel pump not running due to ECU capacitors failing. Otherwise, ECU can shut down due to bad sensors or wiring.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Quoting thomcasey:
Verify the compression yourself if you can. And check the spark and plug wiring. As for Transmissions, an AWD manual from a 90-94 DSM (as long as it matches the transfer case splines) will bolt up.

As stated above, that timing check and compression check is KEY.

If it jumped time, and knocked the valves sideways - which it would with jumped timing, then it requires pulling the head and more. Removing the timing cover can show you if the pair of cams are still in time, but you could have had a jump at the crank, so check that physical timing mark looking down past the power steering pump. Get pictures of those before hand.

Get the owner to take a video and post it on YT, with a charged battery and cranking the motor to try to get it to start. There is usually a tell tale sound to a motor that has bent valves and is not making compression.
Are there any locals that can swing by and test it for you, before you make the trip. Someone may be close and know there way around the car. Offer to compensate the helper!

It is a lot of IF's, when you are not there in person.

Last edited:

gvr4ever

You could pull the top timing cover and rotate the engine to at least make sure the cam timing marks line up. Not sure what a good cold compression test should be, but they should all be close to even.

I once some how bumped my CAS connector when working on the car and created a no start problem.

I'd say if compression is good and the engine really is in time, no start issues would likely be bad ECU, CAS, TPS...

If the car is clean, and compression and engine time are fine, I'd use the no start issue to get the best price I could and I'd go for it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts